Paddock Jack

Just born
Reaction score
I have a year round creek on my land and i am interested in pumping the water up the property to tanks, which can then be distributed to the animals or whatever else I'll use it for. I have looked into these solar direct pumps and they seem like a pretty cool option. I have to pump the water about 500 feet and it will rise (i believe they call this the "head") approximately 55 ft. give or take over that distance. Does anyone have any experience with these systems and if so can you recommend a specific brand. I have seen very expensive pumps online but I am really trying to keep the price under $400 (including the solar panel). Also, for my needs, I wont be requiring a lot of gallons/minute so a smaller pump would be sufficient. Thanks

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No experience but watching for replies because I have pondered the same thing. Hopefully you get some more posts today

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well not the same application as you described, but we use solar pumps for our water, both house and agriculture. The pumps are 465' down and bring the water into 3000 gallon storage tanks. The agriculture well's 2 storage tanks gravity feed for the garden irrigation. I use this gravity fed water to fill the 55 gallon containers for the goat pens that then provides water via a float to the buckets. There is about a 15' drop from the tanks to the animals and garden. The house well also pumps into 2 storage tanks that then goes through a booster to give the house water pressure.

The ag system has 2 solar panels, the house system has 4 panels with any extra power going into a battery bank. All this works real well as long as you have sunshine... but with the storage tanks we can go a few days without sun and not have a problem... and usually if it is not sunny I'm not irrigating the garden.

I am borderline useless to provide you with make and model information. Sorry. However our experience with our local well company was so fabulous. They were very knowledgable on solar applications, made very useful suggestions and really seemed to be wanting to work with us.

Perhaps you have a similar well company that you can talk to, explain what you want to do and have them make suggestions. I realize you aren't needing a well, that you just want to move water from one place to another, but who knows how to move water better than a well company? Just a suggestion.

Paddock Jack

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you all for the imput. It is a year round creek. I am going to look more into ram pumps. I have heard of them before, but the creek is pretty small and i just don't think it would be able to build up the required pressure. I'm also not currently living at the property either so unfortunatley I cant scout out the creek right now.