Question about taming goats

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I finally got my starting herd of goats. 2 boer does, 1 boer buck, 1 alpine doe. I still looking for a couple more does (found them just got to pick them up) and a herd sire.

I don't think they were handled much. If I walk up to them they walk away from me. Now once I get ahold of them they'll stand still for me and let me rub them down. But I want them to come running to me when they see me enter their shelter and eat out of my hand and be "loving" pets. I don't want them to be afraid of me.

Now my buckling won't walk away from me but he doesn't come running either.

What is the best way for me to teach them not to be leery of me and to see me as their friend and companion? What kinds of treats can I give them to entice them?

Would it be better if I tether them so that they can't run off until they get to know me?

Any suggestions and advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
just put the feed out an stand back.an let them come to the feed.they are getting used to a new place.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
One of my pygmies was a rescue who was pretty wild, she was in a somewhat abusive environment. Catching her was quite a feat. She would dash up for a treat then dash away. She would stay near me if there was a fence in between us, but she knew from her last family that she could be hit and chased if a human was on the same side of the fence. Not by anyone on my property, that is, her previous home, which I could see from my yard, and I yelled at those people about it many times. They finally sold all the goats, I took two.

When she started to shed, I would catch her and brush her. She acted like I was tearing her limb from limb, but I know she liked it, because she would pause briefly now and then and get that dreamy look in her eyes when I hit just the right spot. So I brushed her every day. Gradually, she calmed down and really enjoyed it, but for months I had to catch her and at first she acted like I was going to hurt her, then she would remember that it was ok.

It took about two years for her to willingly approach me. She still hid in the barn if any strangers were nearby, peaking suspiciously from a safe distance. We had a couple of guy friends come and care for them when we went away, and we asked them to work with her a bit whenever they had time. They both rose to the challenge, and she really turned around.

Now she runs up to me and waits for her scratch. If my attention is not on her, she will pull on my clothes to get my attention and get her scratching and patting. She loves it when I gently stroke her eyes, she will squeeze them shut and hold very still for as long as I am willing to stroke her face.

So be patient and plan for the long haul! Sounds like you won't have nearly the trouble I had, since they have obviously been handled nicely, just not as pets.

zatsenoughcritters4me

Many Critters
Reaction score
do you have pictures? I know our goats are food addicts! they will come for food like gangbusters! all we have to do is open the metal garbage can lid we keep the feed in and they hear that from 1/4 mile away!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Food is your friend! :D Have treats available and just hold them in your hand, letting them come to you. The biggest thing that I've learned with 'unhandled' goats is to never chase them or corner them. Let them come to you and take it slow and easy. Work around them and talk to them while you are near them. Almost all goats will warm up to you over time.

My two Nigis wouldn't let me touch them or get near them when I got them. It only took 1 1/2 weeks to win one over and two weeks to win the other one other. Now... I can't get them off me! ;) Mine were only 8 weeks old though....

Good luck and have fun with them. :D

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm hoping they'll come around. I bought them feed today. Just plain ole goat feed from my local feed store. I don't even think the bag had a brand label. Anway... I opened it and poured it into the container I have for storage. I had hoped they'd see, hear, or smell it and come running but they didn't. I approached them with some in my hands and still they walked away once I got within 3 feet of them (all but Billy. He'll eat out of my hand). But tonight they raised my hopes. When I actually poured the feed into their feed trough they all came a running. All but one would eat out of my hand at that point.

I used to do dog rescues and I often had shy unsocialized dogs to train. I think I can use the same technique with the goats as I did with the dogs. I used to carry a pouch hooked to my belt loop full of dog cookies. It didn't take long for the dogs to learn that I had treats on me and they'd want to come to me to get the treats. After awhile they'd accept pettings and eventually demand pettings.

I'm just not real sure on what kind of treats to carry around in my pocket or a pouch for goats. Today when I was at TSC I saw a bag of oat and apple treats for horses. I wondered if that would be good for them. I can almost bet that the goats will start coming to me and nuzzling my pocket once they figured out that I carried those treats with me all the time. I also read that raisins make a good treat??? Any input on treat ideas?

zatsenoughcritters4me

Many Critters
Reaction score
be careful what you wish for!! When I bring treats outside I am handing it out and if they are behind me and I don't turn around they jump up on me!! It is pretty intense when I have 7 boer/saanan goats climbing on me! Baby goats are still small but they do the same thing!!! Get a good footing or you will be knocked over! My nephew was giving the goats branches and he ended up climbing up in the tree! We were all laughing, and so was he!
timsmemorycard153.jpg

1jacob-2.jpg

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
pattyjean73 said:

Today when I was at TSC I saw a bag of oat and apple treats for horses. I wondered if that would be good for them. I can almost bet that the goats will start coming to me and nuzzling my pocket once they figured out that I carried those treats with me all the time. I also read that raisins make a good treat??? Any input on treat ideas?
I'm sure they will be tame for you in no time at all. Sounds like they are not afraid, just haven't been really "spoiled" at all and never interacted as pets. They should come around pretty quickly if you carry a treat pouch.

Like dogs, they will know when it is empty or if there is one crumb left! I prefer to give real food when practical. Carrots are dry enough to go in a pouch without making a mess, raisins, too. Just cut those carrots up really, really small and one will go a long way.

I always got a chuckle out of apple and carrot flavored horse treats, having owned horses and boarded them at times, many other owners buy those treats by the bucketful, literally. And the animal really prefers the real thing, real apples and carrots, which are much cheaper and much healthier.

Brocolli trimmings are yummy to goats, and dry enough for the pouch. Turnips and rutabagas, too, are popular here.

Keep in mind that flour-based or grain-based treats are like giving grain, so keep in mind how many treats they get and adjust their next meal. Just like dogs, but instead of getting fat, they can also get very sick or die from overeating.

My goats love it if I just snatch up a few maple leaves for them!

FarmerMack

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
zatsenoughcritters4me said:
be careful what you wish for!! When I bring treats outside I am handing it out and if they are behind me and I don't turn around they jump up on me!! It is pretty intense when I have 7 boer/saanan goats climbing on me! Baby goats are still small but they do the same thing!!! Get a good footing or you will be knocked over! My nephew was giving the goats branches and he ended up climbing up in the tree! We were all laughing, and so was
I love the photos, my goats know when i pick up the tree loppers that they will be getting some branches and follow me around the pen bleating at me until i come back with the tree branches i intend on giving them. Their favorite is apple tree branches, the push and show each other and the leaves and bark is stripped off in minutes.

Farmer Mack :cool: :D :weee

pattyjean73

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got a pleasant surprise this morning...

I've been taking it slow with the goats. I'll drop enough grain in the feeder for them to hear and come running (although now they come running when they see me). They'll munch on the grain and I'll make a very evident point at letting them see me get grain out of the grain bucket. They watch and learn. I'll sit on a bucket and wait patiently for them to gobble up the little bit of grain I give them. Of course they want more and they know its in that bucket. So I'll let them watch me grab a handful out of the bucket and hold my hand out to them. At first they were hesitant to approach me, but they really wanted what was in my hand so they gave up the ghost and came to me. I've been feeding them many small meals each day (trying to put some weight on them too). I'll let them eat out of my hand, but only if they let me touch or pet them. Again they were unsure at first but eventually let me rub on them while eating out of my hand. It didn't take long for them to learn that the rubbings felt pretty good. Now three of them will come to me not only for food, but also for a good rubbing. This morning, to my surprise, my little alpine lays her head on my leg and if i didn't pet her right away she pressed into me demanding the rubbing. 2 of the others haven't quite gotten that far, but they'll let me pet them whether or not i have food in my hand. I still have one more... my yearling, that still prefers that I not touch her. She'll back off when i touch her but she's getting better and better with eat feeding. I think she'll come around. I'm pleased with their progress. They've come a long way in the 3 days I've had them. I'm going to pick up 2 more later in the week (both 7 month doelings). And I just purchased a very nice and very HUGE buckling that I intend to make head herd sire. He is 8 weeks old and already 48 lbs. His dad is over 200 lbs and he is only 14 months old himself. I've named him Hercules. I can hardly wait to bring him home!