rabbit meat question

couchhound274

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Bear with me, its a bit of a story. So i decided to raise rabbits for dog food, everyrhing was going well. Then one of my breeder does developed ear mites, i treated her with oral ivermectin and the ear mites vanished in about 2 days, but as a consequence she developed an inner ear infection . After that we decided it was best to send her to freezer camp. My question is, is can i still feed it to thw dogs after it being treatedwith the ivermectin? I knowthe tube says "not intended for use on animals intended for human consumption " bit as we aren't eating her....

Thanks

fluttervale

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ivermectin is used in heartworm medicines in dogs so I would guess that a dose for a rabbit would be fine for a dog to eat.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Good question! I have no true medical idea of the chemical consequences, but I would do it. Ivermectin is a med they give dogs, too.

couchhound274

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I didint know that it was used in heart worm meds. Wow. Thanks! She dressed out at arpund 10 lbs and i have 4 bloodhounds that watched me process it and drooled the whole time

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had a doe that got ear mites. Vet had me give all my rabbits shots of ivermectin. She said they were still very consumable for humans.