Racoons? Are they an issue?

hermityfarmer-women

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok so I wasn't too worried about racoons with the kids, just the chickens, but then I read an article about a racoon doing damage to a kid.....Ahhhh we have a lot of racoons, I might have to rethink my nightime enclosure to something racoons can't get in. Any info is much appreciated. I know you all are about getting tired of all my questions, lol.

mossyStone

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was over run with Racoons. They never bothered my goats or babies, but the took a toll on my Bantam Marans and Muscovies and Turkeys breaking into pens coops .... Untill the day we got our LGD puppie my goodness he has been a wonderful racoon dog... After a yr with him on duty we have had no more problems, he just takes care of it...... :) we have 7 acres and alot of woods so they where hiding all over ..
And the goats adore him......

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
My biggest concern with the raccoons (if they are overly problematic in your area) around the goats would be the potential for rabies transfer. You may want to consider rabies vaccinations for the goats (it will need to be administered by a vet in most states).

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with elevan...and I have my goats vaccinated for rabies. Ive never had an issue with my goats or kids with racoons. But they are out there and close encounters happen often.

I have my chicken coop locked up like a fortress. You learn that real fast!!

But as for my barn...I have a side door thats small..that I leave open almost all the time. Unless its -15 below winds or something. But I always let the goats have an out in case they have to...cuz of fire or something. We store our hay on the loft of the barn sooooo...Im always nervous if something happens I want them to be able to get out for sure.

I think most leave some type of access for them anyway....?? Just a thought.