Ram vs. Goat

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does a male goat ram? And if he does...does he ram harder than a ram?
Not all bucks ram but 80% of the time they usually do ram people the only reason for this is there protecting their territory and they think your a “intruder” per say but the other reason is they wanna play so something to entertain a buck (male goat) is
1. A ball
2. Other goats to head butt him
3 . tires are an exception when it comes to goats because they love to jump and it’s a very fun entertainment to them

Last edited:

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
On the ranch back in N.Dakota, we had an old, arrogant ram who liked running my kids up on the corrals until one day he bit off more than he could chew. He must of thought he was king of the world and decided to play the “ram butt game” with a dozen or so full grown Herefords, who were not impressed with his rude behavior and demonstrated it by playing volley ball with him for a good 5 minutes. It was so much fun to watch; i never gave any thought to “saving his life”. The cows were more compassionate than I and moved away after a bit where upon he came back in the yard looking pretty forelorn. Some of that look could have been the fact, everyone on our side of the fence was rooting for the cows.😳

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not all bucks ram but 80% of the time they usually do ram people the only reason for this is there protecting their territory and they think your a “intruder” per say but the other reason is they wanna play so something to entertain a buck (male goat) is
1. A ball
2. Other goats to head butt him
3 . Can ram him back gently just to entertain him but not with your head! Lol just with the palm of your hand but be careful with those horns if not disbudded they will get sharp but we rarely cut off the horns of our goats so we’re just careful when they head but us cause there horns will hurt you so maybe just use the palm to push him back!
I have to disagree with #3...pushing a bucks head only reinforces that negative behavior, better off to ignore him and turn your attention to another goat...pushing back encourages him to continue the unwanted behavior 🙄

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have to disagree with #3...pushing a bucks head only reinforces that negative behavior, better off to ignore him and turn your attention to another goat...pushing back encourages him to continue the unwanted behavior 🙄
🤦‍♀️I’m just putting that rule if she would like to play with him not to teach him..

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
🤦‍♀️I’m just putting that rule if she would like to play with him not to teach him..
I wasn't aware it was a "rule"..??? ....there are many opportunities to make "play time" a teaching moment ( kinda like I have been trying to do .if you get my message 🙄 )...teach him not to butt you by doing as I suggested, it's not a play time game , head butting WILL hurt someone....:thumbsup

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every moment you spend with an animal is teaching something. "Play time" by pushing on a buck's or ram's head is TEACHING them to play back at you by butting or ramming, so why would you want to teach them that?
Does a male goat ram? And if he does...does he ram harder than a ram?
Both can butt or ram you, both can hurt you. The best buck or ram is the one you never turn your back on. I had a ram that was out to get me. The one thing he was scared of was a plastic grocery bag so if he tried to get me, I pulled one out of my pocket and shook it at him and chased him. I grew weary of him popping me every time I let my guard down, so off to slaughter he went. Just not worth it to keep a dangerous animal. Pushing on their head, ram or buck is a stupid thing to do.

Longhornbreeder101

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im
I wasn't aware it was a "rule"..??? ....there are many opportunities to make "play time" a teaching moment ( kinda like I have been trying to do .if you get my message 🙄 )...teach him not to butt you by doing as I suggested, it's not a play time game , head butting WILL hurt someone....:thumbsup
just calling it a rule for me not calling it a rule for everyone and yes some people have goats for pets and head butt them aswell so i was putting my own input