Recently aquired heifer hardly eats anything!

AF Texas Longhorn Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I got a 2 year old Longhorn heifer four days ago. She is bright eyed and curious and seems okay. She hardly eats anything though, a couple handfulls at each feeding. She just nibbles around. All the feed I've given her is good quality and she came from a place in the same area as me. I've tried oat hay, alfalfa, grass hay and pellets with molasses, nothing changed. I'm concerned because she is pregnant, growing and it is pretty cold out here. 10 F at night, a little over 32 F during the day. I've been told she is just adjusting but I'm not sure. She is alert, relieves herself regularly, drinks, and chews cud. Could there be something wrong with her? She does have access to a mineral block but I don't know if that could have anything to do with it. Please help.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As long as she continues to act normally and drink water, she's fine. It may just take her a few days to adjust to her new diet and surroundings. If she starts to act sluggish and her ears begin to droop, I'd get concerned. Good luck!

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree. She's probably fine and just off feed from the move and adjustment to new surroundings. As long as she is alert, active and seems healthy, don't worry too much!

Nicki

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just like a kid going to a new school it takes time before you feel comfortable with your new environment before you know it she will be eating at the cool kids table :)