Remove wattles?

started*with*chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What are your personal feelings on wattles? I will admit Momma Goat has them and they drive me a little crazy...crazier...:p Hers hang below her ears and one is larger than the other so it looks funny to me!

I don't want to do something that would be extremely painful for them, they were born 8/18 so as of today they are a little over 24 hrs old. Is there a window of time that they should be removed in? We also have a fly annoyance right now, would it be a bad idea because of flies? We might not keep both of them, would they sell better (I think they would) without them? I'm not looking forward to having 'something else to deal with' but if it's not going to be a huge problem it might be worth it in the long run. I will admit they look cute with them right now when they are little but everything seems cute right now!

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know that some breeders remove them. We bred our LaMancha to buck a friend bought from another breeder out of state. His wattles were removed. Personally, I think they are cute and we hope our babies have them! Our ND has them too. You can tell he had them (he was clipped for show and young), but I'm sure if they are fluffy and hairy you can't.

So, I wouldn't do it since I LOVE wattles, but obviously some people do. I believe they have a vet do it.

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ah I hate that you don't like them. That's her jewelry. I have one that has them and I just adore them on her.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit :hit :hit No ... don't do it!

Wattles are wonderful!

I would check with your vet ... fly season is always a problem.... Colder weather would probably be better if you decide to have them removed.... :hit

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I love wattles!! I know lots of show folks do cut them off for a sleeker look but it isn't required and they are too adorable with them.

started*with*chickens

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok...Ok...Y'all convinced me! The wattles can stay! ;)

I have to say I'm actually surprised so many people seem to like them!

They really aren't very cooperative when it comes to taking pictures (they aren't even extremely active yet either) but I did get a picture of their wattles since everyone seems to love them so much I thought I would share! :)

8915_img_5645.jpg

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't like them, look like big skin tags or something and so out of place.
What are they even for?
I hate the combs and wattles on chickens, but you get used to that bit of naked and ugly, lol. But I couldn't have those ducks with those nasty, wrinkly, brain looking faces over their beaks and such...ick.
I've rarely seen wattles on any mammals, I guess most people cut them off at birth.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad you are keeping the wattles! Most "goatie" people like them! :p

They are so cute! Can't wait for pics in a few weeks when they are bouncing all around!

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a couple with wattles.... I don't really care for them, but they don't bother me. They do get in the way of collars, but that is about it.