Rescued Calf

bcmfive

Just born
Reaction score
Just "rescued" a calf from a processing plant. Its a female and I'm told its a Jersey but the mom was a Holstein. She looks sorta like a Jersey. How do I really tell for sure. I'll be keeping her for a family milk cow (8kids) and it's my first cow. Accepting any advice.

Thanks

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Um... rescued? There is probably a reason she was sent to slaughter. Regardless of what she is get a health check by a vet before you invest anything into her.

bcmfive

Just born
Reaction score
By the way, she was just born yesterday.

bcmfive

Just born
Reaction score
Um... rescued? There is probably a reason she was sent to slaughter. Regardless of what she is get a health check by a vet before you invest anything into her.
This is typical. Calves are born on the floor and the calves are claimed by those that work there. She wasn't sent to slaughter.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
awwww born yesterday! :ya :weee
Love the babies!
Maybe you can post some pictures of her when you get a chance and the cattle people can help you out!
:thumbsup for big family!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Check with he slaughter house to see if this female calf , if born as a twin to a bull calf, then she is a Free Marten and will never get pregnant, have a calf ,much less produce any milk. Keep your fingers crossed or she is good only for hamburger .

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Yep, I would be concerned about free martinism as well. Heifers are worth quite a bit of money to the dairies around here which is why I am always amazed when people say they get them for free.

bcmfive

Just born
Reaction score
Nope. My daughter was there when she was born. No twin. Also, she has charateristics of a Jersey

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, someone else could've warned you but since no one has stepped up to the plate it's my time:

You'll be at least two years in waiting to get any milk from this heifer calf IF she's fertile (not a freemartin) and IF she survives the first few months or year in your care.

I too am surprised to hear you got a heifer calf for free, because most times dairy farmers aren't too eager to let them go (except if they're freemartin, which most likely may be the case here), much less for free.

Crossbred Jersey calves--crossed with Holstein--are usually almost always all black, and will retain the characteristics of a Jersey, but also have the characteristics of a Holstein, which will show up when she reaches sexual and adult maturity. Pure jersey calves are usually fawn with brown eyes, nose and hooves, but they can also be black too and get a light saddle. Usually, if I'm right, the saddle doesn't show up until they're older.

ETA: So you're saying that she was born right on the processing floor from this Holstein cow? Then it's very likely she's merely a cross-bred, not a full blown Jersey as, I'm sure you know, it's impossible to get a pure Jers from a Holst.