Scouring in 2 1/2 year old....

rjfoster03

Just born
Reaction score
I have a 2 1/2 year old female pygmy fainting goat that had scours about 1 week ago- it lasted for 1 day and was most likely due to the fact that she and her sister got into the garden and ate things that they never get to eat. The scours cleared up and the poop returned to normal. I also did a fecal and could not see anything out of the ordinary.

Went out to take the goats for their normal time out walking around the same areas that they always go in and eat from. As they were out in the yard, I cleaned their pen / pasture that they are always in and noticed more scouring. Some of the fecal matter appears as clumped softer looking pellets, while others appear like larger masses of firm poop. The goat with the scours eats / acts / runs around like normal. She has not been exposed to the same area of the garden that she got into one week ago, but over the last week I did open a "new" section of their field (kentucky rye seeded about 6 weeks ago with no use of fertilizer). This area is an area that they normally go in but has been recently seeded for them. The only other thing that i can think off is that she did get a little hay since the weather was so rainy and they could not get out to graze (about 4-5 days ago).

I plan on taking a temperature later this morning, but wanted to see if anyone else had and recommendations. Doing a search on the topic brings up all sorts of results- I see that some treat with this or that and it starts to get a bit confusing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rjfoster03

Just born
Reaction score
Yes, LOTS of form and not watery...... Some of the stool even has small "normal" clumps of pellets (but they look "soft").

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Since you had a fecal come back clean and they are more dog logs than scours, I am going with she is eating something that isn't meshing well with her digestive system. Could be too much grass or lush weeds. They dampness of the browse could probably do that too. I would say yes, get a temp on her and then maybe walk the area in which she is eating to see what she is nibbling on.

rjfoster03

Just born
Reaction score
Was able to get a temp. reading on Elsie- 99.2.

Since I am knew to the temp thing, I cleaned the thermometer and took one on her sister. Lucy was at 100.8.

With this in mind and knowing that there are fluctuations between goats, as well as thermometers, would this be normal? I was using a digital thermometer, but not an "animal" version like what you would get from tractor supply. I was able to "quickly" pick up one from Walmart, but can take the ride to go and get an animal version of it if needed.

Elise's skin does not "look" dehydrated.

So, I am still not sure what to treat for. Both look good, eat, act and play like always. When doing a search, nutrition comes up- they are grazing in the same area, have clean water, don't get much grain to eat since everything is green here and have not been given any hay for a while (except the small amount they were given last week for a rainy day).

Naturally, I will go out later and see if I can find any more irregular poop. With my luck, it will be cleared and none will be found; then I have the low temp thing.....

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Probably just your thermometor. I find if they have a low temp. they are acting pretty sick.

have they been vaccinated for CD&T?

I will have to say that I have had fecals come back clean and still had to treat. I find a fecal with a positive result is helpful, but a negative fecal, well they could have missed somethig, or that fecal just didn't contain the problem.

Coccidiosis comes to mind. Could bloom(multiply) from the stress of being in the garden and eating too much rich food. All goats have some coccidiosis, normally younger goats are most acceptable, but a 2 year old that was stressed from something could also be at risk for coccidiosis levels multiplying at too high a level and causes her to not be doing well. She could overcome it or she may need to be treated. May show up in the fecal, if fecal was done right. But I have had to treat for it and it never showed up in the fecal.
You could do another fecal on the one if she is still scouring, specifically asking about coccidiosis or bacterial infection.

A touch of a bacterial infection also comes to mind form getting into food they aren't used to. Spectam scour halt for pigs may clear up the one if she is still not pelleted. It is good for bacterial scours.

rjfoster03

Just born
Reaction score
I am thinking that it is the thermometer..... or even the operator. First time taking a temp on a goat, but the wife and I did it to see if the results were the same and they were. The other girl has a low temp too and looking at both of their behaviors, they are the same. True, they may be a little stressed today with me coming at them with a thermometer.

They both have had a CD & T, but not in 2012. They did have one in 11".

I will probably take a look around there living area and see what I can find today, And try to get a fresh sample of stool for another fecal. I looked at the findings associated with Coccidiosis and feel better knowing that their living area is large for only 2 goats, a probably kept too clean. I will still take another look at a fecal.

I may pick up some of the Spectam scour halt just to have on hand, as well as a different thermometer.

I appreciate all the responses.

redtailgal

Reaction score
My guys poop dog logs from time to time. If thats the only symtom, I dont usually worry about it.

I mean, nobody poops perfect all the time! lol

Seriously, if dog logs is all you see going on, I wouldnt "treat" with anything, other than a little probios and a watchful eye for a day or two.

Scours is a very runny liquid poop that leaves their back end nasty.........that I would treat immediately with electrolytes, probios, another fecal, and the appropriate med.

Latest posts