Should the udder bag be loose after milking??

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is the udder bag still pretty hard after milking or should it be loose?? The teats are loose and saggy once we've emptied her best we could (massaging her and bumping) , but how can you tell if she's holding back?? She can hear the babies Screaming for her "Maaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!":/

Also, I want to wean the 8 week old but I hate to keep him in a small kid stall all day. I don't have a separate outdoor pen. Any ideas?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Some udders are 'meaty' and don't shrink down much. You'll know for sure after about a week of milking.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You can always alternate him in a stall and the doe in a stall. Or try taping her teats.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with helmstead. You learn each goats 'feel' after a few days or week of milking her. Most of mine maintain a pretty solid udder after being milked out. I have one that her udder just kinda droops but certainly isn't soft and loose.

Georgiamainers

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay thanks, good to know...taping teats huh? That's the first I've heard of that! :p

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never found taping teats to keep kids from nursing, unless maybe you're talking half a roll of duct tape held on with super glue. In my experience, the kid just rips the tape off, eats it, and washes it down with a nice drink of milk.

RabbleRoost Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ariel301 said:
I've never found taping teats to keep kids from nursing, unless maybe you're talking half a roll of duct tape held on with super glue. In my experience, the kid just rips the tape off, eats it, and washes it down with a nice drink of milk.
Sounds about right for a goat. :rolleyes: