Should we give our new cow company?

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a new 13 week old heifer coming tonight. She is not weaned. We are planning on keeping her in the barn for about a week before we turn her out to get her used to us, the other cows and hopefully keep her from trying to find her mother. We were thinking that maybe we should put one of our other young steers in with her to keep her company. He is kind of the 3rd wheel in our trio and maybe they would bond. Would this help her or make things worse? Just trying to make her transition as easy as possible for her (and us!). Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hillsvale, You're funny and if she asks me for a goat, I will consider it for sure! Otherwise, I think we are tapped out with additions to the farm for a while. Of course we do have to get a donkey or mule at some point in time. That will make Stubborn Hill Farm complete! :D

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well didn't get any responses, but all is going well. Here is our new girl. She is fitting in great and after one long night of constant bellowing, she calming down and seems to be very happy.

4090_reba_laying_outside.jpg

Hillsvale

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have cattle so I have little understanding of them but is she tied up?... is this because she is just a baby? I still think she needs a goat.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Lovely calf. I like the red-edged ears!

She does appear tied up, which could be dangerous to her if she tangles in the rope. Really easy to get a loop around a leg and rope burn her pretty badly. Post sticking up from tire rim is a possible sharp implement for injury if she runs over the tire trying to escape or playing about. Not something I would have in with any of my animals.

A suggestion would be to just put a very long lead rope on her halter, something kind of stiff in ropes, cotton, not that braided plastic rope. We use about 14ft of rope dragging on our calves when we first get them. Even if calf stands out of reach, that long tail lets you get hold of it to snag them. I go out a couple times a day, walk behind the calf until it stops, pick up the rope, walk up the rope holding calf in place. Scratch behind their ears, down the windpipe, give them some grain or alfalfa pellets for reward. Then toss the rope down and walk away. They may need to drag a rope for a couple weeks, until the calf quits running when we approach because GOOD things happen when we come out to calf. We have very clean paddocks and pasture, no machinery or things that dragging rope can snag on. This method works very well for us, cattle come right over to see what you are doing, both young and older animals. You just never know if people have a snack for cows!!

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, she was tied. The first day we had her in a stall in the barn. We put one of our other young cows in with her. She seemed to be doing well, but seemed to think that our biggest steer was her mother! She could see him on occassion and it seemed to bother her. So we put her outside tied, so that she could see the rest of the herd, but wouldn't run off looking for her mother. We are new with cattle and had some horrendous experiences with our first two cows! Learned a lot and obviously have a lot more to learn. We got her thursday night. She spent Friday inside, Saturday outside tied, and yesterday we let her off because it was obvious she wasn't going anywhere. So as of yesterday she was just one of the herd. Not tied up. She is very pretty. I am sure she would like a goat but I guess we better figure out how to handle cows before we get into goats! :D

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
goodhors said:
Lovely calf. I like the red-edged ears!

She does appear tied up, which could be dangerous to her if she tangles in the rope. Really easy to get a loop around a leg and rope burn her pretty badly. Post sticking up from tire rim is a possible sharp implement for injury if she runs over the tire trying to escape or playing about. Not something I would have in with any of my animals.

A suggestion would be to just put a very long lead rope on her halter, something kind of stiff in ropes, cotton, not that braided plastic rope. We use about 14ft of rope dragging on our calves when we first get them. Even if calf stands out of reach, that long tail lets you get hold of it to snag them. I go out a couple times a day, walk behind the calf until it stops, pick up the rope, walk up the rope holding calf in place. Scratch behind their ears, down the windpipe, give them some grain or alfalfa pellets for reward. Then toss the rope down and walk away. They may need to drag a rope for a couple weeks, until the calf quits running when we approach because GOOD things happen when we come out to calf. We have very clean paddocks and pasture, no machinery or things that dragging rope can snag on. This method works very well for us, cattle come right over to see what you are doing, both young and older animals. You just never know if people have a snack for cows!!
Thanks for the advice! We certainly learn a lot from others who have much more experience. We are spending a lot of time socializing with her. She has never had a halter and lead on and is actually really easy to walk. She's just a natural. Our other two little nuckleheads, not so much!