Silly question...beginning your rabbit stock

mrsengeseth

Just born
Reaction score
This may seem very obvious to someone else, but...where do you get your stock to start out? I don't imagine they can be mail ordered like poultry? So where does one acquire their first few does and buck? Craigslist?

Any that we have ever had were for pets. We've never raised for meat before and would like to.

and, are there any small breeds good for meat? I am finding that there are plenty mid sized and large rabbits that are great for meat, ie the NZ and the californian, but i am not finding a lot about small ones...

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You also could check out the American Rabbit Breeders website... ARBA.net They have a lot of information.

And try Googling " Breeds of Rabbits " that should bring up a Lot of different breeds. If You find a breed that interests You... then Google that particular breed. There is usually a national club for the various breeds. Those clubs will have a Lot of information , including lists of breeders.

Good Luck.

Forgot the part of smaller meaty breeds... Florida Whites are a Super meaty small rabbit. Mini Rex are surprisingly meaty.

VStillman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Check feed/farm supply stores, and 4h groups...they have lots of info...also you can call your local agricultural dept, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Hope you find something!!!!!!

rickerra

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Craigslist.

In my area there are a number of ads for rabbits. Many purebred w/ pedigrees Californian, NZ, etc... and lots of "mutts" too. Some of them even mention "meat rabbits" or good for meat, etc.

Most you find are the younger ones... 8-12weeks. So you would have to raise them up to age for breeding. I lucked out and found a "seasoned" breeding trio... all 2 years old... but mixed breeds. They are working out great for me... each doe had a litter already.

Good luck!

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Check with your local extension office. They may know of breeders that sell/raise rabbits for 4-H/FFA that may have some available. We always have some available after our fair so you could check to see when your local fair is and see if there are any for sale.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you want a smaller breed because of limited cage space? If so Floridas may be what you need. They are essentially a smaller sized New Zealand and are good meat producers. They can be kind of hard to find though.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yes, craigslist is a great place to start. around here we also have small animal swaps and auctions. where are you? we have lots of rabbits for sale right now, new zealand, silver marten, and smaller meaty ones. dutch rabbits have a good meat to bone ratio, are on the smaller size.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My rabbits from Craigslist were definately a mixed bag, as far as temperment and breeding results were concerned. But that said, they were also very inexpensive!

For me, it was the right way to go. I'm still glad I did it that way rather than waiting for better stock that would have been more expensive.

$5 for a New Zealand buck that worked out very well until he got cancer (that could happen to any rabbit)
$30 for a bred French Angora that didn't mother her babies (but they survived thanks to a couple nursing Lops at another rabbitry). Poor temperment that the previous owners blamed on her pregnancy, but turned out to be her regular attitude. I processed this one because I could not even brush her for her wool.
$15 apiece for three Cali does - one was supposedly 2 years old, but she never bred so I suspect older - one died of enteritis 4 months after I got her (enteritis could happen to any rabbit) - and one is a good mother with kits in the grow-out pen.

So 8 months or so into this rabbit adventure of mine, I have paid a total of $80 for what ended up to be a litter of 8 Angoras, a litter of NZ/Cali meat rabbits in the grow-out pen, and a bred Californian doe.

Sure I had a lot of losses - losses I might not have had if I had purchased from a reputable rabbitry. They have a reputation at stake and would be less likely to lie to someone about a rabbit's temperment or age. But my losses were not excessive, and I still have good rabbits left to continue my production in spite of the losses. And because my costs were so inexpensive, I have money left over to replace my buck that died of cancer.

So now that you have several options that have been talked about for where you could look for your breeding stock, now you get to decide which option is right for you. I wish you success!

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I started my meat herd right here on BYH....from another poster who I befriended. We discovered we lived within driving distance from one another and started chatting, she was answering my questions about meat rabbits. After awhile she showed me some photos of some she had for sale and one thing led to another, it was a distance to meet her but I really feel happy with the rabbits I got. She isn't just someone I purchased something from, she has helped mentor me in working with my breed (Creme D' Argent) as she has an avid interest in rabbits and wants to see the breed promoted (she shows). She helped show me what my breed should look like and has even continued to advise me through my first few months of starting my herd. I could not be happier with how it worked out for me. I even named my favorite baby goat after her, I like her so much. I'm old enough to be her mom but she still was willing to advise an old lady with a new hobby. So you might watch for sales of bunnies from people near you, it is nice to be able to network and also to possibly enlarge the breeding pool you have to work with within your acquaintances.

Love you E! (In case she reads this)