Small acre Rotational grazing - Goats

FriendlyTreeFarm

Just born
Reaction score
I've been researching how to effectively do rotational grazing on small acreage, but was hoping to hear some first hand experiences on how you did it, and if it was succesful/worth it.

i have about an acre total. Permanent residents are 2 full size goats (~120lbs) and 1 kune kune. They are fed year round since the pasture had been quite overgrazed before we moved in.

i'd love some recommendations on if i should plant something (ryegrass?) In addition to the existing grass. Soil is primarily cinebar silt loam. We are in the Pacific northwest zone 8.
Photo of existing setup, red line indicates current fence. Buildings arent to scale. What would the best way to split up the pasture?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate y'alls input!
1000010535.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yo could make an alley on the short side. Lay out the long side in maybe 3 strips with gate at the end. Open the gate to the part you want them to graze, then they can go back to the barn for shelter or water, at will.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thinking same sort of division but on long side, less fencing. Last could have gate across roof ally.

Goats are not "grazers" but, of course, do graze. They prefer to wander & sample various browse. So plan to attempt to provide some others treats.

Latest posts