SUPER weak 4 month old Nigerian Dwarf...HELP!

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a little buckling who has had loose pretty liquidy poop for about a week now. I was attributing it to DH feeding him grain one evening rather than his usual ration of alfalfa pellets since he has never had grain before. Through doses of pepto and keeping resorb/bounce back in his water supply to keep him hydrated we thought we had kicked it last night as he had his first solid poo before bed time. (He has lost some weight in the process, but I wasn't *too* worried since I knew he was eating/drinking normally and still active)
This morning he was fine when I left work work, up and bouncy and alert...but when I got home he had taken a complete 360. He is super weak...having a hard time standing...can't get back up if he falls...his belly quite sunken even though he has had access to his morning ration of pellets all morning he hasn't eaten much of it. We clipped some of his hair and he is much thinner than we thought. He has been wormed and his eyelids look a decently dark pink still...but I can't figure out what more I can do for him.
Any suggestions? Poor guy just looks awful.

ETA: Has been wormed with levasol

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cocci?

Quote from the following thread may be helpful: http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8038

Roll Farms states:

The only way to *know* is a fecal....but....

At 5 weeks, she's at the right age for coccidiosis.
Also, at 5 weeks, she SHOULD be nibbling hay and trying grain...that shouldn't be the 'problem'.

I would treat her for 7 days w/ DiMethox, 1cc per 5# day one, 1cc per 10# days 2-7, then repeat in 21 days.

You can order it from Jeffers Livestock Supply.

I would also give her a B shot to fortify her...some Probiotics...I personally wouldn't give her milk while she's scouring, I'd use something like "Revitalyte Gelling", which will give her nutrients and firm up her poo.

I don't use anything to stop the poops unless it's phenominally runny / explosive and / or I *know* it's a dietary reaction to something...it's nature's way of getting the 'funk' out, and stopping that process can be worse than letting it happen.

DO NOT wait to treat her, cocci can and will kill in a day or so's time if it's running rampant in her innards, and when it doesn't kill, it can scar the intestines for life and make a goat 'fail to thrive'.

Good luck.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nothing to add to the excellent advice given here. Sure hope he's feeling better soon though!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:( Scouring for a week is BAD...I sure hope you're able to turn him around, but I'd be seeking a vet this late in the game.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Kate: I would have taken him already, but he had been improving every day on that front and even last night after he had a normal potty he seemed perfect. He never broke with fever and never went off feed. Tonight when I got home the only vet near us that has any clue about goats had closed early for Good Friday. We have a 24 hour vet 3 minutes from here, but we have taken two goats in before and their only "treatment" was iv fluids since they don't carry any medicine for anything other than a cat or dog.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is helping me calm down a little. I don't handle stress well and this is my baby. :( I will be up with him through the night...he seems to be improving a bit. He is up and walking around...browsing for food..using the potty. But still hunching and just generally weak. :(

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Cocci babies rarely run a fever, and don't act 'off' until they're REALLY sick, like he is now - hunched up and weak. Do you have any albon or dimethox??

Scours aren't the only indication of coccidosis, BTW. They can be in full blown coccidosis and have normal stools. It's referred to as subclinical cocci.

Poor little dude!