Swollen Lump On Goats Throat with Pictures... UPDATED~ NOT CL!!!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just noticed yesterday that my yearling (who is hopefully pregnant) has some swelling under her jaw. If you imagine a person it would be right where the adams apple is. It's on both sides, two swellings I guess.

It's smaller than a golf ball, but not round and not an abscess. It wasn't there a couple days ago. Nothing has changed and she is acting perfectly fine... Any ideas?

ETA: I'll get a pic asap.

Update on page two: it's getting bigger and nothing seems to be working! :hit

redtailgal

Reaction score
Have you checked her eyelids to see if she is pale?

And has she been wormed recently?

I am wondering if she doesnt have bottlejaw......

Can you post a pic?

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wormed them last month 3 times 10 days apart with Ivomec Plus injectable.

I've looked at pics of bottlejaw and it just doesn't look like it's the right spot to be that.

I want to say it's lymph nodes but when I looked at a chart it didn't look quite right either.

I'll go get a pic now...

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pics... the right side is definitely bigger than the other.

6210_sam_0361.jpg

6210_sam_0359.jpg

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh one more thing, a few months back she impaled her lip on a bungee cord that she somehow pulled over from the adjacent pen, I cleaned it real well but it created an abcess and I cleaned it several times and flushed it. It healed fine and has been gone for quite a while. But I did notice her lymph gland (this) area was swollen and I thought it was a reaction to the infection (like how ours swell when we're sick). It went away 100% after the lip healed.

But now it's back and this appears to be in the same spot/ same thing?

redtailgal

Reaction score
I gotta agree with Rolls.

Bottlejaw should be symmetrical, I think (someone correct me if I am wrong).

That does look like a lymphatic area, and its just nothing to play with.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oiy... looks like I'm gonna get to be good friends with my vet. I just spoke with her on the phone last week for a different goat of mine... :rolleyes:

Mo's palominos

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can goats get " strangles " like horses do? I've only seen it a handful of times in horses and it looked just like that. I know horses and goats are very different, but is there a possibility it could be something similar?:idunno

swiss.susan

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
two things come to my mind. Have her checked for CL. You will want to get on top of this before the hair fall off of it and it bursts, as then it's contagious. CL is harmless to humans, but you will have a very hard time selling kids with a CL positive herd. We immediately culled any carriers. The other thing, if you think this is related to an old injury, sometimes infection will become walled off and antibiotics can't penetrate that wall. It is necessary to lance and clean it throughly. Call your vet and have him come take a sample of it first to test it for CL. you don't want to lance that by yourself, unless you do it in the road, and burn everything it comes in contact with. Good luck, hope it turns out well for you.