Talk me in to getting some goats! :)

Bil

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am so on the fence about getting some goats. I really want some goats (only a couple) and would really like to get a dairy goat but there is something making me nervous about it (long story that includes 5 dexter cows and not being ready for cows but I digress!).

We have 16 alpacas and currently 70+ chickens & 4 turkeys so taking care of animals is not the issues, I just think the cow thing scared me off of having animals I am not 100% familiar with. We have a large area that would be just for the goats and has a good covered area and even a room we are using as a tack room that looks like it was a goat milking parlor that would be easy to transform back in to a milking room again.

I found a 3-year old Nubian with 3 kids on her right now for $200. Looks like a nice goat with a good udder but just can't pull the trigger (so to speak). :D

So, why do you have goats? What do you love about them? What do you wish you would have known before you got them? Has it been worth it?

Thanks!

Bil

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
510_oliver_005.jpg

510_oliver_003.jpg

510_oliver_004.jpg

DONE

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do it, Do it, Do it! I wish mine had no horns but they aren't that bad! Wish i had more room for more goats!

499_n1213980263_30496833_2784003.jpg

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would say be sure you know what you want before you get them, you want a milk goat and a nubian is a good choice, but does she have horns? Would it matter to you if she did? How old are the kids, have they been disbudded? Is it to late? If I have any regrets it would be not desiding what I wanted to goats for and what breed/s I wanted to focus on.

Good fencing is probably the most important thing, and not having good fencing before bringing home goats is probably the biggest regret. Oh, also not over doing it, I've seen alot of people get into goats and spend the first year buying as many as they can, and retaining alll doelings, until they are seriously over run and wanting to get out completely.

Can't really think of anything more, I already knew what I was getting into, I'd had them when I was a kid. Personally I'd say go for it (horns wouldn't bother me, but some people relize they'd rather not have them, and knowing before you've bought is so much better).

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Hi Bil,

I also have alpacas and just bought Nigerian Dwarf goats. You will want to make sure any goats you purchase are CAE, CL and Johnnes negative. Have them tested before they come on your farm. Only buy from a closed/tested herd. The alpacas can catch those diseases. It will be worth it in the long run to spend more money and get disease free goats.

The other thing you will want to think about is how much milk do you want to have? I got the Nigerian Dwarfs because it is just my husband and I. While we do drink a lot of milk, we don't drink enough to do something with a gallon a day from a larger dairy goat. Not to mention that you know you will have more than one goat to milk. We do eventually want to make yogurt and cheese but right now don't have the time.

I would research the different breeds and even visit some farms before buying. Really think about what you are going to use the milk for and also the temperament of the different goats.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Well, I know I am weird, but I got my dairy goat and recently purchased another doeling because I was searching for raw milk in my area and couldn't find it, unless I wanted a long drive and a big bill.

My family had a few goats when I was a kid, so I was somewhat familiar with them. I also have two pet pygmies that I got when I retired my horse and brought her home to the suburbs....she needed companionship and goats are much cheaper to keep than another horse, even a small one.

Those two pygmies found every flaw in my expensive horse fence! It is truly goat-proof now.

I am milking now, for a couple of months, and LOVE it! So I bought the latest doeling as a future dairy goat, and plan to keep (hopefully) a doeling that is produced here. Two or three does would allow me to stagger breedings and/or have more than one lactating at the same time.

I really enjoy making all kinds of products from the milk, and am still exploring new adventures in cheesemaking. Raw milk is SOOOO wonderful, I can eat and drink it with no ill effects, and I had not been able to use commercial dairy products for many years....decades.

So my excuse for getting goats is "for practical reasons," but I assure you, I love my goatie-girls! They are fun and sweet and easy to be around. As long as they are on the correct side of the fence, that is.... :rolleyes:

Bil

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! The more I think about it the more I want to get a couple goats. I think I am going to keep looking around and take the advice here and get the exact goats that I want. I think for the area that I have and the research that I have done a couple of Nigerian dwarf dairy goats would be exactly what I am looking for. I love how they look, the size would be perfect, the amount of milk they give would be good for my family and friends, and there is a great farm/dairy that raises them south of us here in Oregon that offers classes on raising/milking goats that I could go work at a couple of days this summer to get a better feel of what having goats is like first.

Still learning! :)

Bil

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the reason that i got goats was to keep an area clean.an we couldnt get the riding lawn mower in that area.an yes the goats are cleaning the area up good.but the billy has been a giant pain.had to raise the fence up.because he could jump it.i go in the area twice a day to tend the hens.so i let them out.an put them back in when im done.