Thought she was pregnant... maybe in heat?

jross8897

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Maggie (I Think) is a mix between Boer, Kiko, and Nigerian Dwarf. About a month ago Maggie started producing milk. Thought it was odd so I have been watching her closely. Then about a week ago she passed a white discharge that I assumed was the "plug" and that she must have been pregnant when we got her... :idunno 3 days later there was more white discharge. We have had her now for right at 150 days... Still no baby... Could she be in heat? Or do I keep wondering? How long over 150 days can they deliver?? :barnie

Oh and if she isn't pregnant should I be milking her... I don't think she'd let me!! :he

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The gestation is usually between 145 - 155 days, however some does do wait longer. Mine kidded at day 156 last year :rolleyes:

If she is producing milk I wouldn't milk her until you've had a vet check her out to make sure there's nothing wrong such as a still born or something along those lines. I've never dealt with a doe bagging up for no reason, so I'm merely speculating what I'd do.

It is possible for a doe who's in heat to have heavy discharge. I have another doe who passes very thick sometimes yellow-y discharge when she's in heat and another who doesn't have any discharge that's noticible.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I just went through the exact same thing. Bred her in January and she didn't go back into heat. June came and went - no baby. July 22nd she developed an udder abd I was sooo excited. She went into major heat last week. She had discharge and she was bawling and then she jumped the fence and joined the boys. Do a search on "PRECOCIOUS UDDER". I waited 9 months for a baby and got... nothing. LOL! Now it will be another 5 before she produces a kid, I hope.

dkluzier

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This girl is a freshener - Here she was in July, right after the udder started to develop

498_100_3895.jpg

The week prior to going into heat when I thought for sure she was gonna pop one out:

498_100_3767.jpg