To collar or to NOT collar?

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Are there risks to collaring your goats, specifically young goats?
Like 1 month?
I'd like to get mine used to it, as I already have one who is a handful. :)
He doesn't want to come when it's time to go back in the pen.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I put this in the wrong place, but I can't find the delete button (to move it elsewhere). Sorry. :)

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I wouldn't collar a youngster. They climb, frolic...and are way too likely to get hung up on something.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I used to collar my goats then I noticed they kept getting their horns stuck in each others collars when playing. Besides, without the collars on I don't have to worry about them getting hung up on other things even though I know I've taken every precaution in the world to make their pasture and shed safe for them :) Accidents happen ;)

sunnygoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I collar them once they get bigger, BUT I use the plastic break-away types. There have only been a couple of times their collars "disappeared" and I found them in the woods. The plastic will not be strong enough not to break if the goats pulls, but is strong enough for me to hold onto it and lead the goat where I want her. I have some extra connector links on hand in case I need to make repairs.
Also, my goats have all been disbudded so getting horns caught on the collars is not an issue for me.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For young goats I would use a body harness... you can make one or find one. Goats also do not like to be lead by the neck and a body harness gives you good control that they do not seem to mind so much. Just do not leave it on the animal. If you do use a neck collar get one that will break apart if they really pull especially if you intend to leave it on.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I, also, don't collar young goats. I keep a horse lead rope handy and just use that if I need to lead them somewhere. I just put it on, take them to wherever and immediately take it off. I double the lead rope and wrap it around the neck and hold it together with my hands. That way, if they start bouncing around to where they might 'strangle' themselves I can just let go and it falls to the ground.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
Mine are collared, and they're both fine. Then again, neither of my goats have horns. And I watch them like a HAWK whenever I let them run.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
no way in hell will my goats ever have collars on again

I lost my best boer doe (imported as an embryo from south africa) because I left a collar on her - she stood on a fence with her front legs to nibble leaves off the tree in her pen, got the collar hooked on a branch stub, I found her dead in the morning, she had hung herself.

Never again.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I figured like w/ cats & collars, that it was not the greatest idea (w/o a snap-off). When they are let out of the pen, they are with me, so I wonder if I could leave one at the gate and put it on Blanco while they're in the yard w/ me. I'm getting tired of picking him up & carrying him back to the pen, and he's only 5 weeks. :) Teeny still just follows me.....he's a cutie patootie.