Too much grain for a growing lamb?

Singing Shepherd

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello all-asking for some opinions on my transition in feeding strategies for new flock members. Just bought four beautiful Gotland lambs four weeks ago. They came to me as three month old lambs, newly weaned but eating grain, minerals, pasture etc. the pasture they had was not rich. The grain they had was! And by rich I mean in amount and cost (IMO). The previous owners told me they each got between 2 and 3 cups of grain each feeding, were fed twice a day, and given free choice grass hay plus four different kinds of free choice supplements. I am trying to transition them to their new home grazing and feed allotments including hay and minerals. I wonder though if I am wrong to reduce a growing lamb's grain rations? The two other lambs I raised from birth never had more than a cup a day of feed even in winter. But I feel like I may be damaging these lambs health if I even slowly cut them back from 4cups a day to 1 cup. What do you think?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
How much do they weigh? Rams, ewes, wethers?
How much does one cup of feed weigh?
What is the nutritional composition of the feed?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello all-asking for some opinions on my transition in feeding strategies for new flock members. Just bought four beautiful Gotland lambs four weeks ago. They came to me as three month old lambs, newly weaned but eating grain, minerals, pasture etc. the pasture they had was not rich. The grain they had was! And by rich I mean in amount and cost (IMO). The previous owners told me they each got between 2 and 3 cups of grain each feeding, were fed twice a day, and given free choice grass hay plus four different kinds of free choice supplements. I am trying to transition them to their new home grazing and feed allotments including hay and minerals. I wonder though if I am wrong to reduce a growing lamb's grain rations? The two other lambs I raised from birth never had more than a cup a day of feed even in winter. But I feel like I may be damaging these lambs health if I even slowly cut them back from 4cups a day to 1 cup. What do you think?
You are asking questions that no one here can answer .... how large large is your pasture as well as the carying capacity during different seasons, soil type,rainfall, type and nutritional value of the grass, what type of grain ( whole or processed ) , current condition of the lambs, are they recently wormed, etc., etc.. Not knowing these things is a recipe for disaster. Go to your local library and READ a good text book on animal husbandry written by a professor with a PhD. in animal nutrition science or a PhD. in Veterinary Medicine ( not some book by someone that " knows it all" ). Also CONSULT with your local county / University Agriculture Extention agent for your specific location and current animals and their condition. Good luck !

Singing Shepherd

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I have worked out the answer on my own through research/conversations I had already initiated before my post. As a result of my post, I had hoped to have a few more bits of info and opinions to add to the mix. It never hurts to strike up a conversation with other livestock owners. I often learn things I can use in later situations as well.

SheepGirl-I had the measurements you asked about but neglected to post them--my mistake. They have been vital in figuring my feed requirements and decisions.

Norseofcorurse-I have pictures I would love to share. Learning how to this week! Thank you for showing interest, it made me smile.

Bossroo-you will be happy to know that last year I either: did all the things you mention in your response; consulted the experts you suggest; determined the stats, data, measurements indicated; read cover to cover over a dozen sheep raising books (some professional, some not) etc. as part of the establishment of our farming endeavors here on our land. I established a relationship with a reputable vet and have consulted numerous educated personnel regarding our pasture, livestock etc. I continue daily to learn and seek knowledge. Often I have been reminded of the fact that we can never claim to know all there is to know about a subject. Despite all that I have referenced doing above, I still find myself stymied sometimes, curious other times, and always aware that there is more confidence in my decisions and more knowledge gained from experience that only the years ahead can provide me. I remember my father saying to me even in the last week of his life: "I didn't know that. You learn something new every day, don't you?" I try to. Sometimes I post questions on this site to do just that. It's nice to read the opinions and see the issue through different eyes to check myself. Thanks for being willing to respond, and patient with all us "learners" out there. : )