Transporting long distance?

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I read where some of you get your goats from a pretty far distance from where you live, some times several states away.

How do you transport the goats?

In the future I would like better goats than what is around here.

julieq

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Although we did ship one adult ND buck by air from the east coast, mostly we have just purchased kids out of the exact bloodlines we've wanted and had them air shipped here. Never any problems with it. It is pricey though. But worth it in our minds as we couldn't find bloodlines we wanted in local states, nor clean disease free herds.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We usually just make road trips to pick up new animals. The last road trip in 2010 was a 16 hour round trip. Only vacation we get since we started the farm. :cool:

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My hubby hates road trips, so....when I find a goat from 'away' that I want, I call up my best bud and see when she's free, and we try and make a day (or two) of it.

We've been to IL, OH, and KY for goats, and had fun every trip.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thankfully the furthest I've had to go is 4.5 hours each way. But my search radius is a bit further. I just tarp the back of my minivan and use 2 baby gates strapped to the back of the front seats to keep from having assistance while driving.

Ariel72

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My mini van is going to have to be a goat transport ,too. I'm not sure how to get that one past my long suffering city boy husband :rolleyes:.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Did y'all know that depends will fit an adult goat (providing she doesn't have a huge udder).

Mmm hmm...

And the 'elastic gathers for comfort' look suspiciously like ruffles.

Me get funny looks going down the road in a jeep w/ a full-sized goat in a diaper in the back? :cool:
Of course!

StudMuffinNigis

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Some of you on this thread has shipped air freight before, any ideas on shipping price? Which airlines? Vet papers needed? Where do you pick up and how long? And is shipping weaned kids to young or do they need to be adults to ship? Thanks a lot.