Trust - Destroyed

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ever since I began the process of banding my wether's horns (after a fatal accident involving his horns and a collar on another goat, my fault for leaving the collar on), his trust in me has been completely crushed. He was never a touchy goat, he'd never been socialized as a kid really. But he would still come to me when I called and was curious and content around me. Now, he won't come near me.

If I sit out in the pasture, before he might come for a quick ear scratch and lay down next to me, now he goes as far as possible. In the evening he would wait at the gate to go into the barn with the girls. He still waits, but as soon as I get near the gate to open it, he takes off. The only way I can convince him to come near me is if i have a little bit of grain, and even then he is sketchy. I don't move fast or loudly around him, even when I want to catch him. I'll wait until he is eating, talking softly, then loop the lead around his head. He usually doesn't budge, since I do it slowly and softly. And he leads great once he is on it, if we are walking. If we stop, then he stands at the farthest end of the lead, trying to put space between me and him. In his stall, he presses himself in the corner if I am in there (refilling hay, water, etc.) until I am out.

I know his head hurts. And it makes me feel awful. When I first put the bands on I was sure to give him banamine until the pain subsided a few days later. And then when the first horn came off (a smaller, thinner horn than the other, plus I think he knocked it off too early), he was hurting all over again. And yesterday, while I was checking the progress on the other horn, trying to get away from me he popped the scab off and it hurt all over again, and I needed to wipe up the dribble of blood and apply some scarlet oil. I of course gave him some banamine again. But I am certain he now associates me with pain.

My question is: Do you think, when the banding is all done, everything is all healed up, he'll trust me again? I am sure he'll always remember, but I don't want him to be afraid and wary. I want him to be comfortable around me, though I know he'll never be a pocket goat.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It is breaking my heart just reading your post. I am about to do the same to my shy kid.... He is already skittish and now I feel like I am going to hurt him more. :( I hope Ksalvango is right and that in time he will. :hugs I also hope the process will be quick and than his scurs would fall off fast.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am glad he came to trust you again, Ksalvango. I guess I am just worried Artie wouldn't.

I hope I didn't scare you too much, Catahoula. I hope your laddie comes through the banding alright, too. Hopefully his scurs go quickly.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Mine was an adult doe. She was already friendly. It will probably take more time for you. I would put him in a much smaller area and spend time with him.

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I already know Jac will not like it. The first time when the vet burn him. My breeder said...hope he is not ruin. He eventually came around at least after I got him. I think he personality is pretty much set. He'll be upset but I think he'll come around again. He is a sweet boy...shy but very sweet. You didn't scare me...just reinforce my thinking... It has to be done. :/

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think every person who loves animals can relate. Not all animals easily accept people--that's why I feel it's important to be with our goats at birth when the bonding begins. Then, for some animals it takes more time to reconnect after you have caused them discomfort. If you've tried calm coaxing and getting down to your goat's level by sitting on the ground, there's still one answer...BRIBERY! Think like a goat...my goats love raisins. I get a whole lot of attention with raisins in my pocket and can pet and scratch while they are eating out of hand. Soon even the problem 4-legged kids have become affectionate and I don't even have to bring any raisins along. Good Luck!

GoatCrazyLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Best wishes to you both. Hoping he comes around soon for you. :(

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just had to reburn my baby bucklings horn buds, they weren't done well and one was getting really bad. I felt terrible doing it, but i can't have horns and I am desperately hoping that he will turn out to be show worthy so I can't even have scurs :(

I have only disbudded 2 babies myself so far and I ended up buying a bigger disbudding iron....Not happy about that because I really couldn't spare another $85 right now.....Anyhow I was sure he would hate me....my heart feels so bad while I am doing it...and my hands shake once I am done....

but he was all full of sloppy, "love me, save me", kisses when I was done. So was Truffles....I had done hers and I think I did them right, but I had originally not popped off the center of the cap and so they were coming in small and right in the center of the bud. She is also very tame and was super quick to forgive. I didn't allow them to act afraid of me either though.....I don't know if that helps :hu I just acted like they wanted my to love on them and I guess they did. Cookies and a bottle help too......I needed a swig or two from a bottle by the time I was done but not that kinda bottle! :lol:

Good luck with the banding. I may have to do that to Buck Nakeds scurs in the not to distant future....I'll be watching to see how things go for you all.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Artie's second horn just came off a little while ago. Rather, unexpectedly, at that. He put his head through the cattle panel fence, and while walking by him, my Dad accidentally dropped a piece of wood he was carrying. The loud noise startled Artie and jerked his head back, caught the horn and ripped it off. He immediately started screaming. Thankfully I was right there so I looped his neck with the lead, and tied him so I could put some pressure on the bleeding horn base. It didn't bleed that much really, but I wanted to be sure. My father held pressure for me while I drew Artie up a dose of banamine for the pain. When the ooze stopped, some scarlet oil to keep flies off. He is loose again, and last I saw comfortable enough to eat some hay.

I am glad this ordeal is nearly behind us.