Trying to figure out what my REW is geneticly.

BeltaineRabbitry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I breed and raise satins, they are pedigreed, and my buck is a wonderful typey REW. He was bred to a solid copper and a broken copper (lightly marked). We ended up with 10 total babies (after some DOAs,one disappeared, and one succumbed to the heat). This is what I got

Solid Copper Litter

Solid Black
Solid Copper
Solid Chocolate Agouti
Solid Chocolate

Broken Copper Litter

2x Broken Chocolate Agouti (1 maybe a red still having issues with the color)
3x Broken Copper
Broken Red

These guys have been line bred, are all from the same breeder, The buck has black,REW, Red, Copper and Chocolate in his ped. Moms are sisters and have mostly Red, Copper, White, and Black in their backgrounds

Bucks is out of a REW and black, rew is out of broken red and REW, Black is out of Broken Black and Chocolate.

I am not necessarily breeding these for show, these are meat rabbits first and foremost with show-able babies going to show homes if possible. This isnt something that I have to figure out, but I am very curious as to what ideas everyone has on what his REW is hiding.

This is what I have figured out so far _a _b cc __ _e have no clue if he is broken or solid or what color he actually is.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome, especially on if he is broken or solid.

Thanks!!

Amy
Beltaine Rabbitry

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
A sample group of only 10 is a bit small to rule anything out; I concur with everything you have deduced about his genetics so far. One thing you didn't mention is that, since he had solids with the solid doe, he can't be a Charlie. If he continues to have no brokens when bred to a solid, you can safely assume that he has no broken genes - but just one broken baby that can't have gotten it from the mother means that he must have broken. Aren't REW's fun? :barnie