Two lop-ears died??

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have rabbits, but a friend does. She recently lost two very suddenly and is trying to figure out what could have happened to them.

The male rabbit had a small slit between his eyes that seeped clear liquid and irritated him. He lost control of his movements and eventually died.

The female had two gashes behind her front legs, also seeped clear liquid. She too lost control of bodily movements and died.

My friends vet doesn't see rabbits at all, and she has no help in this matter. I know nothing about rabbits, can anyone on here give us some insight as to what might be going on?

texcalkas

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm no vet but the first thing that came to mind was, did they come in contact with an animal who might have had rabies? Clear fluid is probably just lymph but for there to be an injury, and no pus, smells like rabies. But then again, I don't know what other symptoms they might have exhibited. The only way she'll ever know is get a necropsy done.

Bunny-kids

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If rabies is suspected, she might be able to get the necropsy done free. I'd contact local agencies (health, animal, etc.) and see if it is possible. Ummm .... might be a good idea to give them contact info other than where her livestock is located, just in case there is some kind of knee-jerk overreaction in place as far as policy.

Although it's nothing to mess around with. If it DOES turn out to be rabies, you want to be sure and identify any and all affected animals.

Hope it turns out to be something else.