Update, page 2: They've arrived!!!

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One of our does is still at the breeder since we bought her too close to her due date to feel comfortable about moving her. She is due in four days and I can't wait to see what her babies look like! The breeder may be retaining one doeling, but we will bring any other babies with her when she comes here about a week after she kids. I last saw her about two weeks ago and she looked pretty big then. The breeder thinks she may have triplets in there.

Here are a couple pictures I took about two weeks ago:

20120130091529.jpg

20120130091423.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
THe doe is pretty but WOW the set up she has going! NICE!

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
greenfamilyfarms said:
I really like her color! Maybe the kids will carry that color, too.
I hope so! My fondest wish for this doe is that she has two lovely red doelings, one for the breeder and one for me. A nice buckling wouldn't be awful either...

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
greenfamilyfarms said:
I really like her color! Maybe the kids will carry that color, too.
I hope so! My fondest wish for this doe is that she has two lovely red doelings, one for the breeder and one for me. A nice buckling wouldn't be awful either...
Here is wishing for two red does, maybe even 3. :pop

Cara Peachick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She's a lovely doe! Here's hoping PINK (or, er, ahem, RED) :p

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
THe doe is pretty but WOW the set up she has going! NICE!
She does have a nice place. Her goats all look very well cared for and it is the quietest herd I have ever been around. I highly recommend her if anyone in So. Cal is looking for Lamanchas. I'm thrilled that the three does we got from her are all bred by different bucks, perhaps one of them will produce a buckling worth keeping for our own breeding program. I am going to have to learn what to look for in breeding stock so I breed for desirable traits. Anyone want to give me a tutorial on that?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
a good place to look is the registry for that specific breed.

Otherwise, there are some common things.

Strong pasterns are important for longevity.

of course in your case, udder quality.

top-line is important, you don't want a big slope on the rump of your goat.

You don't want the bag legs to look like the knees are turned in and knocking together, called knock-kneed

That doe in your picture is lovely, Great top-line and legs on her. she has a nice overall smooth look to her, a flowing look.

for what it is worth, I think made a great purchase.

AdoptAPitBull

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't want to burst your bubble about breeding her for breeder stock, but please reconsider. She does not appear to have a very nice udder at all. If you are wanting a goat just for milking and personal use, then she's absolutely perfect. But if you want her to start your line so to speak, I really don't think she is your girl. A great mammary system is key to LaManchas, and it is very hard to breed that up. Again, totally not trying to insult here, just wanted to let you know since I know you are new to this. We all have to start somewhere :)

Please try to post some udder pics. Maybe it's just the way she's standing and she actually does have a nice udder. I hope that is the case!

Cara Peachick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's also hard to tell (at least for me!) what her udder is like until she is in milk, which I understand she is not now. Maybe you can repost the question about using her for breeding stock after she has freshened, with some udder pics added?:bun