UPDATE- WORMS HELP Diarrhea in goat kid -

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a couple goats kids with diarrhea. We had one who had some one evening and passed away very quickly...found him dead the next day.
We did a treatment for coccidiosis on all the other kids and diarrhea cleared up. But within the same week, the two female kids have had the diarrhea return, one female being severe enough that she was lethargic so I started tubing her a homemade electrolyte mix. She is doing much better energy wise but diarrhea is still there. I know their mom has weaned them so I'm thinking that possibly triggered the immune system to be reduced...and they recently got a new hay bale, before the first goat kid passed.
I did initially seperate the female so I could give her the fluids she needed without having to repeatedly catch her and after a couple days her stools firmed up. Not completely, but they were actual formed poops and not liquid. Since letting her back out with her family it has gotten bad again and the only thing that's different is that she has access to the pasture. Is it possible the forage is contributing? They've always had access to it since they were born.
So my first question is is there something over the counter i can give her just to stop the diarrhea while i get this figured out? I know it's critical to get under control.
And what are peoples thoughts on the cause? There are no other symptoms that I see illness-wise like a snotty nose, a cough, loss of weight, etc.

I will add we gave our milk Cow a new bale of hay from the same supplier and she had diarrhea for about a week after she started eating it and then it cleared up. Idk why that would happen but seems like too much of a coincidence.

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They get pasture and hay and loose mineral on a daily basis. I don't give them feed or treats.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The hay might have been sprayed during growth or after cutting, if baling before fully dried. Yes, a huge trigger since both animals had diarrhea.

You can use a human diarrhea med...Pepto. when were the kids dewormed? What & how did you treat the cocci?

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The hay might have been sprayed during growth or after cutting, if baling before fully dried. Yes, a huge trigger since both animals had diarrhea.

You can use a human diarrhea med...Pepto. when were the kids dewormed? What & how did you treat the cocci?
I only deworm as needed so they haven't had that yet. They're about 4 months old now.
I did the 5 day treatment of corid.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd take a fecal to vet for check...before more treatment. Kids can drop fast. No need to add more drugs if not needed but, right one if they are. There are better cocci treatments than corrid. 😉 Get control asap.

Let us know how it's going now.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Toltrazuril is great. I buy at https://horseprerace.com
Agree wholeheartedly!

I've been using Toltrazuril for several years now and have NO problems with coccidia. Gotta make sure to give the right amount. The dosage is different for prevention as opposed to treatment but the stuff works great for me.

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
WORMS
Just went out to feed my animals and one of the doelings (not the one with excessive diarrhea, interestingly) has white eyelids, bottle jaw, and is grinding her teeth. 😭 it may be too late at this point but I'm trying to save her. I dewormed her and looking for what else to give her for the anemia. Red cell? A vit b shot?