Uterine infection, your experiences?

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It looks like my Nigerian Dwarf doe has a low grade/sub clinical uterine infection. Thus she hasn't settled this year from multiple breedings. Our plan is to do a round of antibiotics (oxytetracycline) then Lutalyse to bring her into heat and breed again. **fingers crossed**

She has really good blood lines and awesome production, so she is worth the trouble. We will have to get another doe either due early Spring or in milk to replace her production for the family this year. We bought her in milk this last year, so we did not kid here at our place. And, so also I was not able to observe any symptoms that might have occurred just after delivery. So, if the infection set in right after kidding then she has had it since early last summer.

I'm interested in what anyone else's experiences with uterine infections (metritis)? Particularity low grade for a length of time. Did you beat it? Was your doe permanently infertile?

Thanks,
K

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Babsbag has a doe that was diagnosed with a uterine infection. She has posted about it somewhere on here. I think they may have done a flush also, not sure.

She would be a good one to ask.

Sorry about your doe, I hope all goes well with the treatments. :hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your doe? We did a round of antibiotics on mine to no avail. And now she short cycles every 7 days which lands on a Sunday, of course. She needs to have a flush done when she is in heat, on a Sunday. :th Vet says the Lute won't change the cycle and she also says that this is not something I can do myself. So with the holidays and all the goat is still cycling every Sunday until I can get it together with my vet (also happens to be a friend) to get her treated on a weekend.

Hope you have a better outcome from the antibiotics.

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How is your doe? We did a round of antibiotics on mine to no avail. And now she short cycles every 7 days which lands on a Sunday, of course. She needs to have a flush done when she is in heat, on a Sunday. :th Vet says the Lute won't change the cycle and she also says that this is not something I can do myself. So with the holidays and all the goat is still cycling every Sunday until I can get it together with my vet (also happens to be a friend) to get her treated on a weekend.

Hope you have a better outcome from the antibiotics.

We did a round of tetracycline and then lutalyse then rebred her. So far so good. She was short cycling 10 days after breeding. It has been 9 days and I'm not seeing any signs of her coming back into heat. That's not to say that she actually settled so I will do a blood test on day 30 to see.

Why did your vet say you couldn't do the Lutalyse? I did my own shot 60 hours before we planned on putting her with the buck.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It wasn't the Lutalyse that I couldn't do, it was the uterine flush.

Since I posted last she has not been in heat. It had been every 7 days, it has now been 11 days and no sign of heat. I think I will ask my vet for the lutalyse and see if that will work. I am just not sure what is going on with this doe. Of course I had it all set with the vet for a Sunday treatment and she didn't come into heat.

I hope your doe settled for you. It is getting late in the breeding season already, at least for the seasonal breeders that is.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is great that it worked for your doe. Unfortunately I am pretty sure that the antibiotics and a uterine flush of tetracycline did not work for mine. While I didn't try breeding her again this year, (it was already January) she did cycle and once again had a bloody discharge so I am pretty sure that the infection is still there. I will try again next year, but by that time it will be 2 years so I am not very hopeful.

Hope your has some healthy kids and an easy delivery.