Weaned calves--what's the best grain?

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We just got 8-wk-old calves today. Bull calves, Holsteins. If we want to grow them up for beef, what grain should we give them now?

We've been looking for medium protein and 4% fat. Does that sound right? Maybe 14% protein?

Does Tractor Supply sell a good one? We have a TS nearby.

They're in a secure pen with pine shavings bedding, a bale of hay in the corner, and a dish of some 10% protein grain we had around. And a bucket of water attached to the wall.

What else do we need to know? Can we wash them? They're filthy. Or just dry brush them? Will they let us do that?

Thanks for any tips!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
In your other post you said they were castrated and de-horned, right? If so, ya can't call them 'bull' calves anymore, lol!!! That's where some of the confusion is coming from. They're little baby steers now!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
In your other post you said they were castrated and de-horned, right? If so, ya can't call them 'bull' calves anymore, lol!!! That's where some of the confusion is coming from. They're little baby steers now!
Didn't see that
Just saw Holsteim bull and got very very afraid :)

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OFA..it was in another totally different thread. I agree - baby bulls grow up to be big, bad bulls. So glad they are castrated!

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ooooooh, haha! Thanks for setting me straight! Clearly, I'm starting at the beginning.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Qchickiemama guess you can see what most of us think about trying to raise bulls instead of steers since i said the same thing on another post. lol now that we have that settled i have a couple of questions for you. are these steers going to be on acreage or drylot? that will make a difference on how and what you feed them.

Qchickiemama

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They'll be on pasture, but right now they can fit under the fence in a few places so they're in a large stall.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
you have to realize that we all do things that work best for us. i have raised several baby beefs before and for me it works to keep them in a small pen until they are few months old and them turn them out. i feed them a 14% grain that i also feed to my dairy goats. not bunches of grain just a quart or so a day and all the hay they will eat. i have 60 acres so when i turn them out i continue to give them a little grain just to keep them coming up to the house and friendly but their main diet is the grass and browse they have. i keep them until they are 18 to 24 months of age and then butcher them. good grass fed meat without tons of fat.
is there any way you can fix the fence so they can get out into the fresh air and sunshine? good luck.