Wethers & Pellets/grain

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are about done w/ the pro calf manna I've been giving our little wethers. They are 12 & 13 weeks old. The alfalfa pellets at the store seemed rather large (though I was just feeling through the bag). Is there something else I can/should give them - that might be more "their size". They only get about a cup a piece at bed time. And are currently on alfalfa hay & browse.

Thanks!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I believe if you get alfalfa pellets geared towards horses they are a lot smaller. You could also try soaking them a little in some water to soften them up for them until they can cope with the large grain/pellets.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
our goat pellets with medication for coccidia is nice and small. even thr baby goats eat them along with mom. :)

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Jealous currycomb, The only goat feed that is pelleted (at least I think it is LOL) that I have found is Goat Maximizer and my local mill has to order it in as they dont usually carry it because most goat owners just feed sweetfeed!!!!

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are trying to support our locally owned small businesses, but one problem I run into is that they have all the stuff in the warehouses. Where you can't really look at it.
I ended up getting alfalfa pellets (haven't tried them yet), they are quite a bit bigger, but we'll see how they like them.

Should they get other grain on top of the alfalfa pellets (they are wethers)?

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Me too norcal! ... We have a local Farm Supply, but they don't carry feeds that I'd want to feed, rather I get all my electric fence supplies there, and the like. Our local Purina mill doesn't carry most Purina products for some reason, like Purina Goat Chow, or Noble Goat. Very frustrating when you can't see the things or if they don't carry them!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Whatever grain you end up feeding your wethers, make sure it's formulated either 2:1 or 2.5:1, Calcium to Phosphorus, and that ammonium chloride is one of the ingredients on the tag.

Helps prevent urinary calculi...doesn't always prevent it, but it helps.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They don't seem to care for the alfalfa pellets. :(
They did eat some, but there was a bunch left this morning (there never was w/ the calf-manna). Oh dear.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Give it time, any feed change usually happens slowly, esp with our picky goats.

Also, it is often easier to find loose minerals containing AC than to find feed containing it - or to order bulk AC from Hoegger's Supply.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
They did get both the pellets & calf manna last night. I am trying to do it slowly, but don't have much of the calf manna left - probably another 3 days.