What is your daily recipe?

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I transferred over there from the chicken group. So those of you I know hello, and those of you I dont, nice to meet you. My Name is Kelly and we are getting some boer goats in 2 weekends (Little boy and girl). I have alway had pigmy goats and they ate what the horses did and did well. However, these new members of the family are going to help support us. I am curious as to what you guys/gals are feeding your goats. Is your daily recipe specific to what you do with your goats.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains, I really appreciate it.
Kelly:D

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well,good luck with the helping to support you, it is more like you will be supporting them. goats are not the super sturdy little creatures that can thrive on junk feed. they need good clean feed, hay, browse, minerals, and water. then keeping up with the worms and coccidia, not to mention the bloat, viruses, CL, CAE, it is a wonder goats are not an extinct animal. but i love them and will continue to support our nubians (just not so many of them now that daughter is out of 4-H. did good again this year, 3went back to be judged for grand champion, and the judge said our blue doe should be on the cover of a magazine, thus grandchampion dairy doe!!!!!):D

chickenrunnin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I live in the country and have had animals my whole life. I know what I am getting into :). All of our pets somehow benefit our household other than a warm loving body. I am aware of how to feed them, I was just curious what methods work for other people.

Congratulations on yours. You sound like you love them very much.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
our pets somehow benefit our household other than a warm loving body.
Thats the spirit!

My daily routine and recipe is:

7am - feed the bottle babies (6 lambs and 7 kids) - replacer
8am - feed out hay (wheaten) - I just fill their tubs up - and 250g calf pellets per goat (20% protein). Also the bottle babies get as much of these pellets as they want, so I top their bowl up. sheep get a special mix I make which is 43% lucerne chaff, 43% oaten chaff, 7% lupins, 7% barley
3pm baby feeding time again
8pm - time to top up the hay and give out another 250g pellets per goat
10pm baby feeding time again

top up water when necessary. all my yards have 3 mineral blocks - a 'Goat block', a copper block (because the goat block doesnt contain copper :rolleyes:) and a calcium block. The boys also have a 'stone block' (ammonium chloride).

Simple, and effective.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
So your plan is to raise meat goats?

I think it will be similar to raising dairy goats...just more finishing feed like a calf for your market goats.

We feed medicated meat goat pellets twice daily - we start with 3.5 lbs of pellets for every 100 lbs of goat. Some need more, some need less, so we had to make pens for harder keepers and easier keepers (but that's just us). Our preggers does that are within a month of kidding move to the nursery, where they receive yet more pellets and alfalfa pellets which they remain on through lactation. We use a high quality goat mineral, loose, available free choice. We also use good quality grass hay, free choice but in several feedings to avoid waste. Our kids are creep fed, also. Some goats also get BOSS and/or Calf Manna supplementally.

There are several meat goat finishing formulas, I suspect these are for bringing market animals to weight and show animals to condition, altho I am absolutely unfamilar with raising meat animals...I couldn't bear it LOL so I would never make any money!!

What little research I've done on meat goats - it looks exactly like beef cattle. You start with quality stock and then you can expect to have better yield...also similar to dairy goats bred for milk!

MissJames

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
username taken said:
our pets somehow benefit our household other than a warm loving body.
Thats the spirit!

My daily routine and recipe is:

7am - feed the bottle babies (6 lambs and 7 kids) - replacer
8am - feed out hay (wheaten) - I just fill their tubs up - and 250g calf pellets per goat (20% protein). Also the bottle babies get as much of these pellets as they want, so I top their bowl up. sheep get a special mix I make which is 43% lucerne chaff, 43% oaten chaff, 7% lupins, 7% barley
3pm baby feeding time again
8pm - time to top up the hay and give out another 250g pellets per goat
10pm baby feeding time again

top up water when necessary. all my yards have 3 mineral blocks - a 'Goat block', a copper block (because the goat block doesnt contain copper :rolleyes:) and a calcium block. The boys also have a 'stone block' (ammonium chloride).

Simple, and effective.
Is everyone seperated or do you put out all the blocks and the sheep and goats know what they need?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
helmstead said:
We feed medicated meat goat pellets twice daily - we start with 3.5 lbs of pellets for every 100 lbs of goat.
Our primary herd consists of eight does and a wether.. Five are purebred Nubians, one is an 81% boer, and three are boer/nubian crosses.. I figure it to be somewhere on the order of at least 1100lbs of goat..

If we fed 3.5lbs of feed to 100lbs of goat once a day, we'd be burning 40lbs of feed a day. Does that sound right? I don't think I could force ours eat that much grain in a day...

Seriously, a 50lb sack will last us close to a week and all but a few of our goats are, IMHO, overly fat..

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything here...it's just that I read it, did the math, and went HOLY COW! I guess what I'm asking is...was that a typo, or do you really feed 3.5lbs of grain per 100lb of goat?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
It's no typo. Of course you adjust for body condition. I have some easier keepers that do not need that amount, and some hard keepers that need more. Okay, technically it's 3.33 lbs per 100, but I like to round it up.

My 140 lb Nubian is supposed to get 5 lbs a day based on this formula, but she actually gets more than this to maintain condition, esp through lactation. My 50-60 lb Nigis get about 2 lbs a day each, plus alfalfa pellets. We go through 4 or 5 bags of pellets alone weekly. I buy them in bulk, so I don't really keep track of how much we use - which is probably a good thing or I'd have a massive herd reduction.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
For a different way of looking at things.....

I have four goats, two fat pygmies who get no grain at all, a young future-dairy mixed-breed doeling who gets a small handful of whole grain (barley) and a bigger handful of alfalfa pellets twice a day....maybe 1/3 c grain and 1/2-3/4 c alfalfa pellets each feeding. I have an Alpine-cross lactating doe who gets a double-handful (2 cups?) of grain, a single handful of beetpulp, soaked, and a small coffee can of alfalfa pellets (3.5 cups?) twice a day on the milking stand, along with any veggie scraps from preparing our meals.

They have free access to pasture and get good grass hay at night, in bad weather, and during winter, and the baby and lactating or pregnant doe gets alfalfa hay, too.

Right now, the doeling goes into a separate stall at night and gets her own hayrack stuffed full, and when I have time, I hang a bundle of freshly cut leafy branches from my woods, only things I know they can eat. She is in GREAT condition and is growing like a weed.

The lactating doe was a starving rescue late last December, pregnant. She is now in wonderful condition on this regimen. Sometimes I have to up her alfalfa pellets for a while, like when she is at peak lactation or at the end of her pregnancy.

I do slightly sprout the whole grains to increase the nutrient levels. The big feed companies don't think you are smart enough to balance your animal's feed, but it is just not true.

I also have feeders full time with goat minerals, loose salt, baking soda, and a block of mineral salt.

But I don't have purebred animals, so they may be tougher.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Beet pulp is a wonderful thing...we also use that as a fleshing feed for our breeders...and I can't tell you how much I love it for my horses.

I might clarify that the recommendation I make is for medicated feed. Each medicated bag should have a recommendation for quantity to feed as the medication used varies by manuf. If you feed less than recommended of medicated feed, the medication is not at a high enough level to do its job. But since I only advocate feeding medicated feed, I always spout out those numbers.

Each situation is different. For us, we have no pasture/browse for our goats - it's all dry lot. We must make up the difference with hay and feed. When we move to our other property eventually, we will likely have to add extra decoxx topdress because their 'need for feed' will decrease with established pastures. This is why I also often say 'adjust for condition' or 'general rule of thumb'.

Latest posts