What to use for possible pneumonia?

jojobean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I posted in general emergencies when my week old Holstein was literally down with bloat. We got through that, we are slooowly getting through scours. He has a temp between 103.5-104.7 (this evening was on the higher side), snotty nose, flaring nostrils when breathing.

Our reg vet is out of town until Monday. I did find another vet way up north, so I can call up there for meds if need be. I have him on Sulmet right now, should I get something different or will this work? I put one T in his milk twice a day (thankfully he is drinking by himself now)

Also, this may be a weird question, but I really don't know the answer. When he urinates, it comes out suuuper slow. In a tiny little stream. Is this normal or possible infection in that area?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It does sound much like pneumonia. If he were mine, I'd treat him with Draxxin. Your vet should have an open bottle and should be willing to sell you a smaller amount. As to the urination---bulls/steers don't have a really large stream, so I'd suspect he's normal. Good luck!

jojobean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thank you. my vet is closed until Monday :)barnie) but I found a vet up north who will do a one time 1 1/2 mls of excede, without requiring to be established. Hope this will do something!

jojobean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ran up there as soon as I got the ok, administered it and 1000ml LR. He is down again though...not looking good. It has been like this for the I guess it is two weeks now, he has been alive. Up one minute, down the next, scours, bloat. He was up this morning at his feeder and even let out a little moo.

Now that he is down, but has had meds, and LR...should I just push something, like milk or just leave him be? I am also worried he has something going on with his abomasum. Sigh. This poor baby.

:(

jojobean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
update: He was down, and seemed really hot (even in the covered part of the pen) so hubs and I dragged him out into the cool shaded forest area and wet him down. He did respond by lifting his head and folding his knees underneath him instead of remaining side-lying with his neck stretched out. So now we wait and do what we have been doing I guess and hope the medicine works. Should I continue the Sulmet or discontinue since he had the Excede?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I guess I'd quit with the sulmet, since it didn't seem to be doing much for the pneumonia. Excede is also a good drug for pneumonia, but I prefer Draxxin, although it's quite a bit more expensive. It also lasts longer in their system.

I don't wish to be negative, but I would not expect a good outcome from the symptoms you have described. Just be prepared for the worst. Hope I'm wrong!

jojobean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I appreciate the honesty...it takes some pressure and stress off to be honest. I am now prepared for him to not make it...although I get so giddy when he shows any sign of promise, like just now he stood up by himself and walked back to his now cool bed area. I guess I will know the outcome here soon enough. Thank you for your help jhm47.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You could also try putting a hay bale behind his back to keep him from laying flat out.

jojobean

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Will do that tomorrow. I read something earlier and it makes a lot of sense. When their lungs are damaged from pneumonia they can't hardly breathe in hot weather. He goes down down (side lying, almost shock looking or very near death) during the hot part of the day and then "perks" up again in the evening. We kept a part of his pen shaded but I think it still gets too hot because when we moved him to the forest he was a bit better. I realize I may be reaching for anything right about now. BUT, if he makes it through the night I will get him to the cool foresty area right after his breakfast.

He stood with some help for his dinner bottle. He showed interest, and sucked it all down. But that took all the energy he had right out of him and he very weakly walked back to his bed to lay down.

OH, what is the anti-inflammatory drug..Banamine? Is there something that is sold at the farm stores that I can give him in case the vet says no more scripts?