When do you think she will calve?

megpopo1

Just born
Reaction score
We have a Jersey heifer that we bought back in march of this year, based on pictures do you think she will calve soon? She’s also got lots of discharge coming from her nether regions! A few days? Weeks? Thank you!! Also sorry for graphic photos!

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 129

megpopo1

Just born
Reaction score
She'll get much fuller😊. But some gals fill fast. My guess, JUST a guess, another month. I raise goats.
Thank you!
If you bought her March 1st... she will calve by end of Nov... 9 months... do you have any idea of when she was with a bull?
Yeah, I'd say within 1-3 weeks... but that is a real guess...
I bought her march 26, we had no clue she was pregnant when we bought her and neither did our neighbors who sold her to us. So we have no clue when she got with a bull. I just found out she was pregnant like two days ago! I noticed her utters were getting super hard and filling up and then my neighbor who has cattle and super knowledgeable, and told me she was pregnant!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, March 26th.... did the neighbors have a bull? Bull calf? Steer that was not properly castrated? When and where was she POSSIBLY exposed? Trying to pin down timing...
But at this point, yes her udder says she is pregnant and getting close... again I would say within a month, maybe less...
Do you have a vet for the cattle? If no one seems to know if/when/how she got pregnant, then you won't know the sire... but if you bought her from a neighbor, did they raise her? Is there a bull across their fence that she could have gotten over to and then come back? Yes, heifers will do that.... how old was she supposed to be, when you bought her? She looks big enough/old enough to be able to safely calve but the sire of the calf can be a determining factor also...

megpopo1

Just born
Reaction score
Okay, March 26th.... did the neighbors have a bull? Bull calf? Steer that was not properly castrated? When and where was she POSSIBLY exposed? Trying to pin down timing...
But at this point, yes her udder says she is pregnant and getting close... again I would say within a month, maybe less...
Do you have a vet for the cattle? If no one seems to know if/when/how she got pregnant, then you won't know the sire... but if you bought her from a neighbor, did they raise her? Is there a bull across their fence that she could have gotten over to and then come back? Yes, heifers will do that.... how old was she supposed to be, when you bought her? She looks big enough/old enough to be able to safely calve but the sire of the calf can be a determining factor also...
Yes they had several bull calfs in with her. She was supposed to be 6-8 months when we got her
Thank you all for your help
Do you have a vet for the cattle? If no one seems to know if/when/how she got pregnant, then you won't know the sire... but if you bought her from a neighbor, did they raise her? Is there a bull across their fence that she could have gotten over to and then come back? Yes, heifers will do that.... how old was she supposed to be, when you bought her? She looks big enough/old enough to be able to safely calve but the sire of the calf can be a determining factor also..
Thank you all for your advice and help! I appreciate it so much! Bull calf was just born like an hour ago! 😄🐄

Attachments

• IMG_1611.png
    IMG_1611.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1614.png
    IMG_1614.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 111