When to breed?

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello! First, let me say I am not planning on breeding as a regular occurrence. I got a doeling who was pregnant, and no one knew until her udder started to grow. Huckleberry was born 12/2/21. The only date you can read forward and backward and it's still the same lol. Anyway, I think I would like one more goat for our little herd. So, I am thinking of actually breeding her. Maybe in the fall of 2022 for a spring baby? She is a Nigeran Dwarf mix. Is that too soon? Is there a better time of year to breed? I don't want any winter babies; I would prefer nice weather when she births. Texas winters can be crazy.

Thanks for the advice!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have goats, I have sheep. Some people breed at 6 months old, I prefer to wait. I like to breed maiden ewes at 10 months.

@rachels.haven what age do you breed young does?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Breeding at at least 8 to 9 months and at least 80 percent of adult weight is the common rule. For dwarves I like waiting until 40-45 lbs. For standard does 110-115 lbs is what 80% typically comes out to.

For rebreeding adult does, try to wait at least 6 months before letting them have a visit with the buck again.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Huckleberry was born 12/2/21
So, I am thinking of actually breeding her. Maybe in the fall of 2022 for a spring baby?
Her re-breed will be approximate 8 - 9 months after kidding. That's plenty of time. I've bred back does that had C-sections sooner than that, lol. When I raised pygmy goats for the show ring I would expect to get 3 kiddings in two years. No reason not to if they're healthy (and if you actually want more goats). If you wait too long you can end up with an obese doe who is not only harder to get bred, but may very well have a harder time delivering. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!