Another lessons learned! (Ouch #2)

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Freeze lots of 16 ounce water bottles.
During breaks, place a frozen water bottle under your armpit or under both armpits [subclavian artery].
Other locations to place the frozen water bottles would be alongside the side of your neck [carotid arteries], inside of thighs [femoral artery], etc.
I often grab a beer or something out of the ice chest when hauling hay or other "hot" work and place it on my wrist. I'd say be careful on the neck. It will cool you off but cooling off to much, to fast can send someone into shock.
Great advice though

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too have started a number of unintentional fires with my smoker.

Here are two safety practices that are essential for me now:

Keep a water pressurized hose [shut off valve on the end] at the bee yards that have lots of combustible items such as dry grass, wood chips, etc. At moments notice I can then easily extinguish any unintentional fire.

Always [I cannot overemphasize this point] place the smoker in a sealed steel bucket with a lid when done. I was severely burned once when I unwittingly tossed my lit smoker in the back of my truck and took off down the highway. The smoker tipped over, igniting pine shavings in the truck bed. Driving at 55mph caused a fire strom. The resulting fire came close to blowing up my truck [bedliner caught on fire, super heated the truck bed, which was directly above the truck gas tank].
I thought I remembered this story, so I found it:

Nice to see you posting again!