Baymule’s 2024 Lambing plus 12-23

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a big Suffolk ewe threaten to a rectal prolapse for the last several weeks of her pregnancy when laying down. Once she had her big lambs it went away and never come back. Might wait another pregnancy to decide about culling her.
I’ve thought about it - though yesterday I was looking at her and she’s not as tight back there as the other ewes. 😕 because she looks good otherwise and has totally shed out. Got two weeks to decide for sure

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vaginal prolapses are considered heritable traits while a uterine prolapse is not... we had a cow that we got with a group we bought years ago... she would do a small partial rectal prolapse with each pregnancy... previous owner told us that... after the 3rd year with us it got bigger and bigger and we had the vet eventually put it back in with a couple stitches and when we shipped her calf she went too.. She could do manure since she was on grass and it was fairly soft... but it was progressively worse each year... so I would be careful of either a vaginal or an anal prolapse.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a big Suffolk ewe threaten to a rectal prolapse for the last several weeks of her pregnancy when laying down. Once she had her big lambs it went away and never come back. Might wait another pregnancy to decide about culling her.
Rejecting her lamb is putting her on my short list. I untied her for the night. This might take awhile, but I’m not bottle feeding him!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve thought about it - though yesterday I was looking at her and she’s not as tight back there as the other ewes. 😕 because she looks good otherwise and has totally shed out. Got two weeks to decide for sure

Prolapse is a problem that I don’t want to deal with.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rejecting her lamb is putting her on my short list. I untied her for the night. This might take awhile, but I’m not bottle feeding him!
I thought the one rejecting the lamb was NOT the one with the threatened prolapse. Possible prolapse and rejecting a lamb is definitely on cull list. Got them mixed up. I will try to get another tag for you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tuesday I put 2 registered ewes with Ringo 2.0. He chased them a little bit and then they all settled down.
I went to Groveton yesterday, came back, fed bottle babies and one of Ringo’s ewes had the water bucket hanging around her neck. I looked at that and decided I needed help. I called Peggy and she and Bennett came over. Ewe was scared, we hemmed her up in a corner and Bennett tackled her. I pushed her head in the bucket, slipper the handle over head, bucket was off!

Yesterday I put 5 ewes from last year with Rocky. The chase was on!

IMG_6466.jpeg

Today I’m going to put the bottle babies with the ewes and lambs.
There are only 4 sheep left in the other big pen, 3 young ones and Ewenique. I’m going to put them with the ewes and lambs too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I miscounted. 4 young ewes and Ewenique. 1 of them is registered, from the brown ewe I bought from June Cornish. Ewe was batsh!t crazy, bounce off the walls nuts. I kept her daughter, registered solid brown, granddaughters named her Rusty. So far, stupid crazy like her mom. Maybe she will settle down, if she doesn’t, clock is ticking….. Just like cows, if one is stupid crazy, others will follow.

Anyway, they seem happy to be in the field. @Margali look close, Cinnamon is joining the Lamb Possee. Show Cassandra so she can see her lamb is happy.

IMG_6474.jpeg

I blocked off the driveway, have tall ryegrass on both sides and a strip down the middle. Cooper and his girls are on it. Rocky and girls are grazing the front (Carson’s) yard. Ringo2.0 and his 2 girls just have to be happy with alfalfa.

Came in for PB$J and chocolate milk brunch. Going back out to put bottle lambs in front field with the rest. Going to hang out there today and see how they all do.

Rainbow and her twins are still in small pen. She also has to be happy with alfalfa. Ewenique was yelling go some too, so I gave the old girl a wad and told her to shut up before the others stampeded in and took it away from her.
Going back outside!