Castration vs banding

4goatsake723

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 10 month old buck that I was going to originally keep as a buck but I have went a different way and am no longer going to breed. So is it still safe to either band or castrate at this age. If so what one would be my best option? I don’t want to have to sell him.. I love him so much and the sweetest baby ever. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpeg
    IMG_3225.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 72

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think at that age you would need to have a vet out to do it surgically. I think it would take to long for it to dry up when its that big, and would run a very high risk of infection, as well as being more painful.
I don't know about where you live, but in some places after about 8-12 weeks the only legal method is surgical.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very possible that a callicrate type bander (california bander) would work well... animal needs to have tetanus vacc.... I think they use the anti-toxin in the sheep so probably in the goats too????

I would definitely have a vet that is experienced with sheep and goats to do it.... and if vacc is needed usually it is 2 shots at 30 days or so apart....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
First, what breed is the goat? If he is one of the minis or dwarf breeds he may be small to castrate. We have successfully banded up to 5 months on sheep. As long as the scrotum and testicles will fit through the band yu can do it. At 10 months you will need some strong help while getting the band on. If the testicles are too big, you will have to surgically castrate and that means a vet.

When docking week old ewe lambs with a band we give a shot of tetanus antitoxin which gives immediate immunity along with the regular CDT shot that includes tetanus protection later. We like to be sure the animal is protected instantly. Once the sheep or goat is several months old and has had it's 2 vaccinations of CDT it doesn't need the antitoxin. When banding older ram lambs, we don't bother with the antitoxin. If your buck is up to date on his shots, and his testicles will fit through the band (probably with some tugging and manipulation) go ahead and band him. As long as you make sure his urethra not in the band, and he can pee, no problem.

If they won't fit, you will need surgical castration by a vet = $$$. Oher options are to sell the buck or put him in the freezer. At 20 months the meat will still be without taint. He is still sweet and gentle now but he is not completely mature, and his attitude may change, particularly if he has been a pet. Unless you have plenty of pasture/forage/$$$ for hay, why keep a wether? Personally, I look at this from a cost vs use viewpoint, but if you want to keep him as a pet then you may want to check how much the vet will charge to castrate him and make a decision based on that.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ridgetop has you covered. If you can fit them you can do them as far as I know. Some of my ND kids though were packing peanuts almost as big as their heads at 1O WEEKS, nevermind 10 months but you can try. The standards develop slower proportionately speaking.

The hormones helped develop a nice set of horns on him, that's for sure. Now he can sit back, skip rut, and enjoy life and whatever comes his way.