Let’s talk sheep!

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looking at having a half wool half hair flock, 5 ewes of each and one ram per group so 12 total. We would like katahdin for hair but are undecided on the wool sheep. We are wanting something that will blend well with suri alpaca fiber. Suggestions? I’d love to discuss breeds, wool quality and pros and cons to each!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would have to have pastures dedicated to each breed to keep the hair out of the wool.

I have no suggestions for wool breeds as I don’t have any experience with them.

Study the fine wool breeds. Some breeds are really beautiful but have wool too rough for inner clothing.

@purplequeenvt does a lot with wool and makes stunning shawls.

@secuono used to process and make hats, scarves and even felted things.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Something to bear in mind, the hair from your hair sheep can potentially ruin your wool sheep fleeces. It can be worked around if you are processing the wool yourself, but it could be an issue if you are trying to sell raw wool.
You would have to have pastures dedicated to each breed to keep the hair out of the wool.

I have no suggestions for wool breeds as I don’t have any experience with them.

Study the fine wool breeds. Some breeds are really beautiful but have wool too rough for inner clothing.

@purplequeenvt does a lot with wool and makes stunning shawls.

@secuono used to process and make hats, scarves and even felted things.
Yes we are building three more pastures and they will be separate, not will they be crossbred, one ram per group

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Realistically, what are your goals for each type? Why both?

That's first consideration, IMO.
Goals for the hair sheep are just to have meat on the table and a little extra to spread around to friends and family. The wool sheep will primarily be shorn, the wool processed and blended with our alpaca fiber…just unsure as to what breed would blend the best/make the best product.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had huacaya alpaca, fluffy, wool-like.
Had to Google what people blend siri with, since it's limp hair. Google says high memory/crimp breeds, like long wool merino. Yes, there's short wool merino, too.
I had most of mine spun for me, only alpaca and mixed with wool. I didn't really notice a difference or any bounce, like with just wool. 🤷🏽‍♀️ So, idk. It's still in storage, as it's so prone to flyaways.

You don't need to breed the wool sheep. It'll lessen the wool quality and length.
Think about coating them or carefully figure out hay feeding and keeping pasture pristine, as both will ruin wool, potentially to the point of being worthless. But coating comes with its own issues. Two-three coats per sheep once adult. Maybe more depending how long the wool grows. Can't have anything that might shred the coats, fencing, shelter, trees.
Cheaper and easier to buy raw fleeces to blend with the suri.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you could buy wethers for the wool. Go to your local chamber of commerce and ask about a spinners guild. They may be able to look up members in other towns and counties.

Look up alpacas, processing the wool and what sheep wool is best. Ask apace breeders.

If I was to do something like this, I’d want wethers in a variety of breeds, just to play with the different combinations.