New to this! ND does (2) due in April

Acre4Me

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’ll be reading up here in prep for delivery. I see an info thread that I’ll check out too.

Two ND does (sisters), bred by visiting buck. He was here for 5 aromatic weeks. The does will be 2 yo when they deliver their first babies. Vet check/farm visit occurred prior to breeding, and vet was happy with setup, pen, and health of the does.

These does are from a set of triplets. They are from a mom that has had sets of triplets, whose mom also had sets of triplets. Not sure of bucks lineage and multiple births, although he is registered. So, we might have one or both deliver 3 kids.

Q:
1. links to great threads? I will check out the sticky one from a few years ago.

2. Separate them into two pens? They are currently in a large single pen, but we did build two doors in case we needed to separate. We believe the two does are due two to three weeks apart.

3. How to tell if actually pregnant w/o sonogram? I’m curious. They are wider, and their behavior is a little different now, plus they have trouble reaching around to scratch their spines towards their tail. The buck is a proven buck, he is about 4 or 5 years old and was very into the girls and certainly seemed to know how to charm them in his own goat way (🤢), so I’m confident that the process went without a hitch.

4. Can you feel the kids before birth? When?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
He was here for 5 aromatic weeks.
With that humor you fit right in :)
I only have sheep so I don't have goatie answers. My sheep all stay together, when one lambs she and her lambs are either moved to a jug (mine are 4x4) for a couple days or to the "lamb stall" (12x12) if mama and babies are doing well to start. They're all back together in a few days.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you can feel kids moving inside mom 🥰. In fact, I watched one of my does get kicked from one of her unborns, just this morning. Certainly a raunchy buckling coming! Kids are on right side. Usually pretty active at moms feeding time. But you can rub or prod her side and often get them moving at about half way, say 3mo. The one this morning is due in a couple weeks, I expect twins.

Mine often kid when they are with others in herd. They will normally go off to themselves in a field or in their barn if several together and others outside. I generally pen mom & kids for a couple days to bond, keep watch that they're nursing, using both sides, mom is ok, eating, accepting kids, everyone is moving about, etc. they mostly eat & sleep first 2 days. My barn allows them to be in a small area, others can watch thru panels but still be in barns.

NDs are "known" for having several...😂 And kids have every cuteness factor imaginable! You will so love them. Be sure to handle each at birth, first few days to have them imprinted. Hold them, if squirmy, just hug, talk soft and pet. You want to put your hands over the entire body -- get them used to touching -- ears, face, legs, feet, between and up/down legs. This, if done First few days of life it will make all the difference in trust and handling as they get older! Continue frequent handling & holding for at least first month. You'll be thanking me a year from now👍

We're waiting for pictures! 😁

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
🤣. You can also straddle her wrap your arms around her and hug, like a heimlich...that usually gets them moving. Of course, depending on your size & goat size that isn't always possible.😄. My girls are full size, so lean over and squeeze is also hard when they're so big. But, you get the idea.

Acre4Me

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@Mini Horses i checked, and teen checked. Neither of us could feel any movement. I did put fresh water out for them, and gave them a little alfalfa hay (they love it) but, even with eating and drinking I couldn’t feel any movement.

The farthest along this goat could be is 16 weeks pregnant.

She is wide!
IMG_3960.jpeg

She has teats
IMG_3959.jpeg

And her udder looks like it is developing.

Pic taken from behind, trying to get a good pic.
IMG_3961.jpeg
IMG_3961.jpeg

The other goat is likely 2-3 weeks behind, but she seems to have some increase in size in her udder area. Slight teat development.

Latest posts