Pro Hair 100 Challenge 2023-2024

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Show animals get so far away from what they are intended for, it gets ridiculous. “Show” has ruined many a dog breed.

The diets for show animals are not sustainable for farm animals. It would get real interesting if there was a class for “pasture” sheep-straight out of the field. LOL

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Show animals get so far away from what they are intended for, it gets ridiculous. “Show” has ruined many a dog breed.

The diets for show animals are not sustainable for farm animals. It would get real interesting if there was a class for “pasture” sheep-straight out of the field. LOL
Thats would definitely me differently. I will say bullseye eats a basic diet. His grain is A bit more balanced to what I need. He dose get pasture because we have many plants that will kill him. I would get him be in the pasture if I could. The extra work I do to him is way different then the normal shee that get sheered once a year

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you stop at you risk them shedding off all the hair they had while on the supplement.
YIKES!!
OK - dumb question here, he's a meat sheep right? At least that's what I thought - if he is, then why all the concern over the hair/wool? Whenever we've bought sheep at the fair (or pigs as well) we pay up after the bidding and then collect our freezer packs later.
And hair on the legs - looks "good/cute" but even in wool sheep it's not the leg hair/wool they are looking for.
So is all this just for show? Like a Poodle with the incredible groom job at shows wins a lot, but couldn't retrieve to save their soul??
Guessing that Bullseye gets a couple of flakes of alfalfa and some sort of grain or pellets along with a mineral/salt??

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You definitely go way beyond the basics of care for your sheep. Your sheep receive the very best of care.

My comment was not directed at you, but show animals in general. Some have become so “showy” that they don’t even meet the breed standards. @rachels.haven raises dairy goats. She recently went to a show there the dairy does were FAT. Fat beyond being a healthy dairy doe. And the fattest won! She was dumbfounded, it didn’t meet the breed standards.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
YIKES!!
OK - dumb question here, he's a meat sheep right? At least that's what I thought - if he is, then why all the concern over the hair/wool? Whenever we've bought sheep at the fair (or pigs as well) we pay up after the bidding and then collect our freezer packs later.
And hair on the legs - looks "good/cute" but even in wool sheep it's not the leg hair/wool they are looking for.
So is all this just for show? Like a Poodle with the incredible groom job at shows wins a lot, but couldn't retrieve to save their soul??
Guessing that Bullseye gets a couple of flakes of alfalfa and some sort of grain or pellets along with a mineral/salt??
Yes Bullseye is for meat. While I could feed and exercise him that will only take him so far in the modern show ring. The original point of having wool on the legs is to make their bones look bigger. Bigger bones= More meat.

As the trend continued it became the show clip like poodles. To be honest how fluffy the legs are can be a real show with how much work a person puts into their project. I do the legs because it gets me farther in the show and it’s something that I enjoy doing a lot. I could shave the legs off and do a trial run to see how fast they grow but I am all about having the biggest most fluffy legs in the ring and I achieve that last year with my last lamb.

Bullseye gets feed 3% of his body weight 2 times a day and a handful of alfalfa and orchids grass mix at each feeding. I know what you’re thinking that he might not be getting a hay but oddly enough with that Show Lambs you want to feed them just enough pay for them to have a good digestive system. If you give them too much than to develop a hay belly which is basically what any normal sheep looks like and people don’t like that in the show ring. I give my lamb basic sheep minerals that you use for regular pasture sheep. He gets Texas tea too add extra minerals needed to make the most muscle.

I absolutely don’t mind answering your questions because this helps me practice for any questions the judges may give me in the show ring

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You definitely go way beyond the basics of care for your sheep. Your sheep receive the very best of care.

My comment was not directed at you, but show animals in general. Some have become so “showy” that they don’t even meet the breed standards. @rachels.haven raises dairy goats. She recently went to a show there the dairy does were FAT. Fat beyond being a healthy dairy doe. And the fattest won! She was dumbfounded, it didn’t meet the breed standards.
in that persons case the judge was probably a cattle judge or one that doesn’t do dairy offten. They don’t know what makes a dairy goat good. But to be honest with the sheep the ones that win the shows are actually really good quality but they don’t have enough fat for most people who want to eat them. So we work diligently to make sure there’s so little fat over the ribs and no fat on their top line that truly when it comes down to butchering them they don’t have the kind of fat to meat ratio buyers want.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I absolutely don’t mind answering your questions because this helps me practice for any questions the judges may give me in the show
:) I didn't think you would!
Wow - sure sounds like the dog world migrated over to the sheep shows!
Yup I get that bigger bone look. LOL - when I showed conformation my dogs had good bone, but I had to back brush it to keep up with what was winning. For my breed (Belgian Tervuren at the time) dogs that actually had the bone that the judges wanted couldn't work - they were not light on their feet, and ohh their angulation was even worse. Big bones and straight shoulders :oops:. back brush those legs and Loreal Mousse - viola instant bone :lol:. But I've digressed. And - I get the liking doing the work -- grooming can be Zen-like at times, added bonus is the "training and handling" time that just happens when you do that. Which definitely helps in the show ring no matter the species.
Bullseye is a big learning experience - wish you could have more of the fun like you did with Dutch too.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes Bullseye is for meat. While I could feed and exercise him that will only take him so far in the modern show ring. The original point of having wool on the legs is to make their bones look bigger. Bigger bones= More meat.

As the trend continued it became the show clip like poodles. To be honest how fluffy the legs are can be a real show with how much work a person puts into their project. I do the legs because it gets me farther in the show and it’s something that I enjoy doing a lot. I could shave the legs off and do a trial run to see how fast they grow but I am all about having the biggest most fluffy legs in the ring and I achieve that last year with my last lamb.

Bullseye gets feed 3% of his body weight 2 times a day and a handful of alfalfa and orchids grass mix at each feeding. I know what you’re thinking that he might not be getting a hay but oddly enough with that Show Lambs you want to feed them just enough pay for them to have a good digestive system. If you give them too much than to develop a hay belly which is basically what any normal sheep looks like and people don’t like that in the show ring.

I absolutely don’t mind answering your questions because this helps me practice for any questions the judges may give me in the show ring
:) I didn't think you would!
Wow - sure sounds like the dog world migrated over to the sheep shows!
Yup I get that bigger bone look. LOL - when I showed conformation my dogs had good bone, but I had to back brush it to keep up with what was winning. For my breed (Belgian Tervuren at the time) dogs that actually had the bone that the judges wanted couldn't work - they were not light on their feet, and ohh their angulation was even worse. Big bones and straight shoulders :oops:. back brush those legs and Loreal Mousse - viola instant bone :lol:. But I've digressed. And - I get the liking doing the work -- grooming can be Zen-like at times, added bonus is the "training and handling" time that just happens when you do that. Which definitely helps in the show ring no matter the species.
Bullseye is a big learning experience - wish you could have more of the fun like you did with Dutch too.
Yeh we do the same thing!
He is a different personality so we work differently. He needs to finish learning how to do his show walk then we can start on fun training

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
. The original point of having wool on the legs is to make their bones look bigger. Bigger bones= More meat
Not necessarily more meat. There's plenty of lambs with huge legs and they couldn't be "muscled up", especially not compared to the lambs that truly are, to save their life. You want them to have a good strong skeleton because that's like the foundation that your muscle and everything sits on, that's what carries everything, and there is such a thing as to much bone in the production side of things but like the other things that's what the show market calls for.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
there is such a thing as to much bone in the production side of things but like the other things that's what the show market calls for.
Exactly!! I guess in anything that gets judged if this >>.<< is good then this (more) >>>>.<<<< is better. I've seen it in dogs and horses (that Arabian dish face is nothing like it was 50 years ago). Forget functionality. :oops: