Are calf ear tags too big for a goats ear?

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m recently got custom ear tags for my goats, only problem is the only one that was big enough to put their name and my number was a calf ear tag. Though, I’ve never done ear tags and got it anyways.
My parent thinks it might be too big, but my other parent whom has lived on farms and dealt with livestock says it isn’t. Anyone know what I should do because 100 is kinda sucky to spend on something I apparently can’t even use

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know exactly which size you are calling calf ear tags. The ones we use in the calves really is a bit big for a goat or a sheep. Depends on the size of the goat and the size of their ears. A Nubian with long floppy ears could wear a larger tag than a sanaan or a pygmy or ND...

Get a smaller tag... put their name on the front and put your number on the back... I would get a tagging pen, that will write on them, and they usually always come with 2 tips... one very narrow and one a little bigger tip... use the fine tip and write it on the tag... In fact... are you close to a feed store or even TSC???? Look at the tags in real size... you can get the plain blank ones, and write on them what you want on them. They also make a "back" tag that is not just the button back.... It is a blank tag that is the "male" part... like the button, but it will give you more room to write on it...
Sheep tags, are usually a long rectangle rather than a square type tag... and the backs of them are normally another rectangle with the male part to fit in the front female tag part...
I was confused if you already got them or were going to get them???? If they are not preprinted, send them back and get a smaller tag... but I would seriously look at some in "real life" first... Most feed stores will sell just one tag and the button back... and if you got them at someplace like TSC and didn't like the size BEFORE you put them in, they would take them back...

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Don't know exactly which size you are calling calf ear tags. The ones we use in the calves really is a bit big for a goat or a sheep. Depends on the size of the goat and the size of their ears. A Nubian with long floppy ears could wear a larger tag than a sanaan or a pygmy or ND...

Get a smaller tag... put their name on the front and put your number on the back... I would get a tagging pen, that will write on them, and they usually always come with 2 tips... one very narrow and one a little bigger tip... use the fine tip and write it on the tag... In fact... are you close to a feed store or even TSC???? Look at the tags in real size... you can get the plain blank ones, and write on them what you want on them. They also make a "back" tag that is not just the button back.... It is a blank tag that is the "male" part... like the button, but it will give you more room to write on it...
Sheep tags, are usually a long rectangle rather than a square type tag... and the backs of them are normally another rectangle with the male part to fit in the front female tag part...
I was confused if you already got them or were going to get them???? If they are not preprinted, send them back and get a smaller tag... but I would seriously look at some in "real life" first... Most feed stores will sell just one tag and the button back... and if you got them at someplace like TSC and didn't like the size BEFORE you put them in, they would take them back...
Size on my 5 month old buck vs his adult mother, I think it’ll fit on her but not on him yet. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5020.jpeg
    IMG_5020.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5022.jpeg
    IMG_5022.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5023.jpeg
    IMG_5023.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 18

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
TOO BIG... they will tear them out when they get their heads through a fence hole or something...
I see that they are the one piece tag with the part to go through the ear all attached to the tag part... I was thinking they were a 2 piece tag with the "tag" part and the button back...

You need a much smaller tag for their ears... goats are famous for putting their heads places that they shouldn't, and they will catch these tags and you will have torn and bloody ears, when they rip them out. We have calves tear out tags on occasion, but they do not put their heads through fences and things like that , like goats do....

Is there a reason to have to tag them now since you said you didn't tag them before?

Other goat owners, please chime in here.... @Mini Horses , @rachels.haven ....

Fangeddeer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
TOO BIG... they will tear them out when they get their heads through a fence hole or something...
I see that they are the one piece tag with the part to go through the ear all attached to the tag part... I was thinking they were a 2 piece tag with the "tag" part and the button back...

You need a much smaller tag for their ears... goats are famous for putting their heads places that they shouldn't, and they will catch these tags and you will have torn and bloody ears, when they rip them out. We have calves tear out tags on occasion, but they do not put their heads through fences and things like that , like goats do....

Is there a reason to have to tag them now since you said you didn't tag them before?

Other goat owners, please chime in here.... @Mini Horses , @rachels.haven ....
Mainly because they’ve been exploring too far, and I don’t want someone stealing them (already happened twice now) because they freeroam an open property

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mainly because they’ve been exploring too far, and I don’t want someone stealing them (already happened twice now) because they freeroam an open property
Hate to say it, but stealing is not going to stop because they have tags... can be cut and taken out in 10 seconds.. with just a hole in the ear, there is not proof... tattoo in ears would give proof of ownership.. but you have to catch the person who took them to start with... sounds like you are going to have to do some sort of fencing to keep there where they are not free roaming so much.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tattoo or chip them. If being stolen, probably for meat use and nothing used will help. 🥴 But those tags are way too large. Here the registered are tattoo/chip. Commercial neither. Truly, goats will have those ripped out quickly -- Like said, and a mess.