Index links broken?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
A while back, someone taught me how to edit in links to pages in my journal onto the first post, so that I could more easily find different pages. So today I just added a new link and it didn’t work. Come to find out, none of the old links work either.

I don’t know if it’s a problem on my phone, or if something changed on the forum. This is the screen I get when I click any of the links, which did used to work before.
7B240606-7AB3-4498-BCAB-F39C395016C3.jpeg

When I get a chance, I will log onto my desktop and see if the links are broken there. Maybe it’s just my phone. But I thought I would ask if maybe that function has been removed.

Thank you!

Edit: my journal: https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/finnie-finally-a-journal.44036/

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out. It's not a device / computer / browser issue... but something wrong with the links themselves.

For example, the links in your first post in that thread (that go to African Violets and Streptocarpus, Peach Tree Planting, Crochet chickens) aren't working because the links associated with them are either broken and/or aren't correct.

I even went in to edit the post to see the code on the links, and they are really off / weird... for example this is one of the URLs you are linking to... and it's definitely not a correct URL:
Code:
http://Post in thread %27Finnie- Finally A Journal%27

I can't tell if the links were originally bad, or if they got messed up during an edit or something else. The only "fix" I can think of is to make sure you're entering working / proper URLs when linking text.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing this out. It's not a device / computer / browser issue... but something wrong with the links themselves.

For example, the links in your first post in that thread (that go to African Violets and Streptocarpus, Peach Tree Planting, Crochet chickens) aren't working because the links associated with them are either broken and/or aren't correct.

I even went in to edit the post to see the code on the links, and they are really off / weird... for example this is one of the URLs you are linking to... and it's definitely not a correct URL:
Code:
http://Post in thread %27Finnie- Finally A Journal%27

I can't tell if the links were originally bad, or if they got messed up during an edit or something else. The only "fix" I can think of is to make sure you're entering working / proper URLs when linking text.
Thank you for looking into it!

The first two links worked when I made them. The 3rd link for crochet chickens never worked.

Perhaps when I edited the post to add the third link, I/my phone/the internet gods caused some kind of shift. Maybe when I scrolled to the top of the edit screen I touched something I shouldn’t have.

I got the links by clicking on the three “molecule” dots at the top right of the posts I wanted to link to. I have to assume that gives me a proper working URL. I will play around with it, and if I can’t get the post link to work, I will try just linking to the whole page.

Thank you so much @Nifty !

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Nifty I no longer think that I messed it up by touching something. I was able to copy and paste the link and it works, but if I try to insert it using the icon that looks like a chain link, then it doesn’t work. So now I suspect it is something wrong with the function of the chain link icon. (Or that my phone doesn’t play nice with it.)

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Can you post the link here as a reply, just the URL to the post?

For example: when I right-click on the #3 post above, I get this URL:

That's a link direct to that post.

Your links should look very similar, if they don't, we need to figure out why.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score

This one is from hard pressing on the #3 of the post above

I guess that’s the best way to do it then.