SA Farm's journal

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do you do with the sheep milk?
The first week or so I typically freeze it for future lamb emergencies or needs (since it still tastes like colostrum anyway). After that, I mostly use it just like any other milk, but I also make cheese out of it when I’ve accumulated enough. (Soft cheese is actually really easy to make. My favourite experiment last year was adding chives to it before it set. So good!)
If I really get behind, I’ll freeze it to make cheese with later. You can make cheese with frozen milk for up to 2 years.

At some point, if I’m feeling ambitious enough, I want to try making butter, but it would take quite a bit of milk to get enough cream to make butter, so I haven’t gotten there yet. Maybe I’ll try making yogurt first 😊

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy day moving sheep today. Foxy and her lamb moved out to the big pen adjacent to Dingo and Coy moved inside once I got the stall cleaned and freshly bedded. She’s due Tuesday (17 days after her initial mark date).
IMG_5200.jpeg
It’s a bit chilly out, but not freezing anymore despite the snow. It’s mostly going to melt today and the temps are only supposed to go up from here.
IMG_5216.jpeg
Foxy is shedding/rooing, so ignore how ragged she looks 🤦‍♀️ That was while they were meandering around while I was cleaning the stall.

So I’ve been thinking about doing the tape measure method to weigh my adult sheep. I checked Dingo and, according to the method, he’s 176lbs! I want to “weigh” them all to see what category they’re in. According to some quick Google research, this is the weight classification.
IMG_5214.jpeg
Is this accurate? Is there a better or more specific way to determine the size class of your sheep?
Based on that info, Dingo would be med-large (bc I assume ram weights would be slightly higher).

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I’ve been thinking about doing the tape measure method to weigh my adult sheep. I checked Dingo and, according to the method, he’s 176lbs! I want to “weigh” them all to see what category they’re in. According to some quick Google research, this is the weight classification.
View attachment 106070
Is this accurate? Is there a better or more specific way to determine the size class of your sheep?
Based on that info, Dingo would be med-large (bc I assume ram weights would be slightly higher).
I was going to do the tape measure method. But I ended up getting a scale. Glad I did. I ~should've tried the tape measure and then put them on the scale but I didn't. Scale was fast and easy. My ewes were running about 160+/- and the ram at just under 200 last time I weighed. Going to weigh them all soon.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lambing is finally done 🥱
Doll had triplets around 1am. They’re tiny little things, but she needed help anyway. The little white boy went a bit hypothermic, so he got to come in for a warmup. Doll decided she no longer wanted him when I brought him back out a few hours later, so I have a bottle baby.
IMG_5297.jpegIMG_5314.jpegIMG_5315.jpegIMG_5318.jpegIMG_5317.jpeg
He’s wearing the latest fashion. A cut-up sock. I’m calling him Sock for now lol
IMG_5319.jpeg
IMG_5316.jpeg
Boy in the back with more white, girl in the front.
I seriously need a nap.