The obligatory new member introduction

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ahhh. AGH is good meat. Mine were. 🙂 I keep Saanen & have a few Saanen X Nubians for milking. All bred to my Boer buck this yr. Kids sell better. My Boer are far easier to raise on forage than the dairy. And, if you eat goat meat, the Boer has finer grained meat. Of course, some ethnic markets prefer the stronger mixed breeds taste. 🤷 Location controls your market.

The pet goat market here is better for small ND or pygmy -- esp tiny bottle ones. But I'm not going there and have them end here to raise up 🤣 no matter how cute. No time for that.

1cock2hens

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ahhh. AGH is good meat. Mine were. 🙂 I keep Saanen & have a few Saanen X Nubians for milking. All bred to my Boer buck this yr. Kids sell better. My Boer are far easier to raise on forage than the dairy. And, if you eat goat meat, the Boer has finer grained meat. Of course, some ethnic markets prefer the stronger mixed breeds taste. 🤷 Location controls your market.

The pet goat market here is better for small ND or pygmy -- esp tiny bottle ones. But I'm not going there and have them end here to raise up 🤣 no matter how cute. No time for that.
I've had saanen in the past and loved how big, goofy, and kind they are. I raise my animals on a property that's mostly woods, they graze almost 100%, I only give them supplemental feed when it's kidding season and I don't think they really need it I just like to spoil my girls lol

Meat goats are extremely easy to sell here. There is a very large Somali population near me as well as Walmart headquarters and all the foreign workers they attract, they buy up everythingggg. I live in an interesting place. Just 30 minutes from several pretty big cities but still I'm in the absolute middle of nowhere somehow, a lot of wealthy people wanting to live a nice country life so the pet market is great. Silky goats are a very popular hybrid pet goat here, I get double from them what I do a pure ND.