Best breed for my situation

pumphrey

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I live in the suburbs on 1/2 acre. I have a horse, chickens and indoor animals. My horse is an only and I wanted to get a goat as a companion for her and a pet for us. She is a very mellow horse and always the lowest in the herd when we go riding with friends. I was hoping to find a goat on the larger size (perhaps it doesn't matter though) and a breed that is relatively

pumphrey

Just born
Reaction score
What's available in your area? As a pet, you're pretty open as to type. How often do you ride? She may not need a companion.😁

Used to have a stallion whose BFF was a cat!
I ride with friends 3 days/wk ~3 hrs. She won't lie down to sleep though and I think it might be because she feels she has to keep watch all the time. My friend has 3 horses and they take turns.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
😁. Horses prefer to sleep standing. Layers are often older, or quite young. It's a safety instinct to be able to run from predators.

Ctittle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you’re thinking of a goat for a companion, I would think one of the larger breeds, maybe a Nubian, and definitely a wether.

The Chick Addict

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello, I live in the suburbs on 1/2 acre. I have a horse, chickens and indoor animals. My horse is an only and I wanted to get a goat as a companion for her and a pet for us. She is a very mellow horse and always the lowest in the herd when we go riding with friends. I was hoping to find a goat on the larger size (perhaps it doesn't matter though) and a breed that is relatively
Nigerian Dwarfs are a smaller breed and they are very sweet! I would definitely recommend!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dwarf breeds could easily be accidentally stepped on. Whatever breed, make sure that it is disbudded. Goat horns around horses are a vet bill waiting to happen.

Are you sure that the horse will accept the goat? My TWH mare hated goats for some reason. I had a corral of Boer does and a buck in the corral next to her for a couple months one time, and she would sneak up on the goats that were laying against the fence and bite them. Watching a 16.2 hh horse almost tip toe up to surprise a sleeping goat was hysterical. I had to put plastic netting along the corral bars to keep her from injuring the goats. She even tried kicking them through the bars. She finally put her hoof through the bars and wire and got stuck. Luckily, I was in the corral when she did that, and was able to keep her calm while I got the foot out. Oddly enough, she was ok with the sheep on the pasture.

Latest posts