How do you tell the difference between Nigerian dwarf and Pygmy?

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Newbie mini goat owner here.
I am trying to figure out if my goats are Nigerian dwarf or pygmy? They where sold as Nigerian. But upon seeing some Nigerians, mine seem very stocky. It doesn't really matter what they are, I just want to know what I am looking at.

Attachments

• 20230514_112712.jpg
    20230514_112712.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230610_104555.jpg
    20230610_104555.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230701_132327.jpg
    20230701_132327.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 60

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I raised registered pygmies for several decades and was active in the show world for over 10 years. They are wonderful little animals.

I'm attaching some links for you to look at.

The first one is the breed standard.

The second one is a link to accepted pygmy colors.

Unless you buy from a breeder of pure pygmies it's hard to find a pure pygmy anymore. There has been so much cross/interbreeding between the two breeds.

Your gals are pretty stocky, but I've seen Nigi's that were as stocky. The one girl with all the white, is cute! But, she either isn't pure pygmy or she's mis-marked. Their faces are a little long, as well as their necks. It's entirely possible that they are crosses. Whatever they are - they look to be in good shape and will hopefully do well for you.

Rustic Green Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I raised registered pygmies for several decades and was active in the show world for over 10 years. They are wonderful little animals.

I'm attaching some links for you to look at.

The first one is the breed standard.

The second one is a link to accepted pygmy colors.

Unless you buy from a breeder of pure pygmies it's hard to find a pure pygmy anymore. There has been so much cross/interbreeding between the two breeds.

Your gals are pretty stocky, but I've seen Nigi's that were as stocky. The one girl with all the white, is cute! But, she either isn't pure pygmy or she's mis-marked. Their faces are a little long, as well as their necks. It's entirely possible that they are crosses. Whatever they are - they look to be in good shape and will hopefully do well for you.
Thank you so much. I was finding it hard to research. They are such a joy to have.

Latest posts