Pigs and rabbits

blondiebird526

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Good evening,

We are just starting the research phase of getting pigs, and I wanted to know if I could put them in the same area that I have my rabbit hutch. I also happens to be my old garden area, so I was hoping they would help clear it while they are there.

Thank you,
Lorrene

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds good --- so long as there are no legs on that hutch, cage to ground, that piggies can rub/push off. Piggies are like strong bulldozers ☺️ and they'll smell rabbit food. Otherwise, they'll plow & eat up grass & roots. 👍👍

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Mini Horses . Pigs will knock over a hutch to get at the rabbits to eat them. If hanging wire cages in a barn, up high enough so pigs can’t reach them, then yes. Otherwise a big NO.

Are you going to get breeding stock pigs? What breeds? If you have never raised pigs, you might want to start with a couple of feeder pigs-weaned piglets that you raise up to slaughter size.

Mini Horses has raised American Guinea Hogs and so has @frustratedearthmother .

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Come on where's the adventure in you guys, you should just jump in the deep end of the pool and grab a handful of piggies and go for it. Give it to about time for butchering and you are going to be wanting only bacon seeds unless you want the rabbits for fur. Don't worry just accidentally leave the rabbit door hutch open and the piggies will take care of the rest.

blondiebird526

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a source for a couple of pot belly piglets (getting them for free and I know that aren't a large meat pig but we are just dipping our toes in to see if we can do it before committing to a larger breed).

Thank you for your comment.

blondiebird526

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Come on where's the adventure in you guys, you should just jump in the deep end of the pool and grab a handful of piggies and go for it. Give it to about time for butchering and you are going to be wanting only bacon seeds unless you want the rabbits for fur. Don't worry just accidentally leave the rabbit door hutch open and the piggies will take care of the rest.
That is 100% why my husband said yes to piglets when we didn't even have space for them. I'm the one scrambling to figure it all out lol

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Never had ducks, next thing we know there is 40 plus here within a month, 8 geese and couple months later 15 guinea fowl. Fast forward and there is so many running around I gave up after counting to 75. Went from 0 to 10 piggies here couple of months ago. Wife says when we cross the line of enough acreage we should get 5 bison, I looked at her like she was crazy and said no, we are going with at least the max of 10.

I wasn't even done with building a pen for them when I got mine, they stayed in a IBC tote for couple of days, and @Baymule can't look innocent either, she had a few in horse trailer there for a bit. We all do it, that's the fun part! It's not we want to, but it's we are so busy that if we don't force ourselves to do it we won't never do it. Best way to do that is to get the animals and run around like mad men/women trying to scramble to put it together. Sure we need to wait to do this before this, no that's procrastinating.

At around :50 second mark you can see one coming in hot for landing!

Last edited:

blondiebird526

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Never had ducks, next thing we know there is 40 plus here within a month, 8 geese and couple months later 15 guinea fowl. Fast forward and there is so many running around I gave up after counting to 75. Went from 0 to 10 piggies here couple of months ago. Wife says when we cross the line of enough acreage we should get 5 bison, I looked at her like she was crazy and said no, we are going with at least the max of 10.

I wasn't even done with building a pen for them when I got mine, they stayed in a IBC tote for couple of days, and @Baymule can't look innocent either, she had a few in horse trailer there for a bit. We all do it, that's the fun part! It's not we want to, but it's we are so busy that if we don't force ourselves to do it we won't never do it. Best way to do that is to get the animals and run around like mad men/women trying to scramble to put it together. Sure we need to wait to do this before this, no that's procrastinating.

At around :50 second mark you can see one coming in hot for landing!
This is exactly how I am, which is why we live in the city and have 10 chickens, 4 ducks, 4 rabbit (breeders) and now apparently 2 pigs. Lol my husband is usually the one that is annoyed I brought home more animals so it's fun to see him on the otherside and not even sorry about it lol