The journey into the abyss of no return

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here is the what the Washington State AG handout on raising hogs says on weight gain:

"An average of 1.6 to 1.8 pounds per day should be expected for a healthy, growthy pig on a growing and finishing ration. Pigs generally will gain approximately 1.5-1.7 pounds a day during the grower phase, up to about 110 pounds of body weight, and then daily gain should increase to approximately 1.8-2.2 pounds per day as the pig increases in size during the finishing phase.

. . . It is important to remember pigs often grow slower during the hot summer months."

This pretty much is what we learned in 4-H about our hogs and why it was important to weigh them. They can gain too much or too little before Fair weigh in date depending on how they are fed so weekly weighing is necessary.

We used this weight gain average to figure out how much our hogs would weigh by weigh in (using days to Fair). If our hogs were too heavy about a month or 6 weeks before Fair we started cutting their feed with oats. Oats put on nice hard flesh but cut the rate of gain. You wanted to put them back on full feed abut 3 weeks before Fair so they would look "fresh". Holding back a hog too close to show date is apparent in the appearance of the hog and judges can tell they have been held back. If you need to hold them back, you must do it midway through the growing process. Then you can push them the last month or so.
Thanks I will base my Excel spreadsheet on that and see where things go. They are quiet active with able to run around, in fact they chase whatever vehicle goes around their pen area. Seem more happier to see me than Pooch who looks up with "sigh" he's back I'm going back to napping. Some days they will run circles around inside their pen, kind of fun to watch when they don't know you are watching.

The land offer for the 300 aces is in the mail, sent two out with current and previous address lets see which one makes it and if we get a reply back. If not, I guess I will knock on someones door in California, though first one will be in Montana at last known address. Vowed to never step foot in that state again, but damn.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
They periodically take pics, go assess anything new. Couple yrs ago they came to my farm, sent a letter I had to pay permit fees for a new building AND was in violation of housing as someone living in said building. 😳😳😂. I made them come out to view the storage of equipment in said "residence". witness no power, running water facilities. Then showed them their own satellite pics from 12+ yrs back, of the carport, in same pasture. I'd put some used tin on sides for keeping rain off stores inside.

🤣🤣 That was end of that !!!! Carports were portables since held in place by pins pounded into ground. All legal, no permit or tax. Thanks satellite!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about show animals... around here backfat is not something that is ever mentioned at any of the stockyards... just weight and people look at the animal getting sold... I do not do anything with FFA or 4-H youth so really have no experience. I do know that the hogs that win are those with the double muscled type hams... but @Ridgetop would be the one to go to for show stock. I had a hard time with what they look for in these youth market animal shows... the way the kids get sponsors and then the animal sells for totally ridiculous amounts of money that the kids put towards schooling costs, and it is not a good representative of what REAL farming is all about... it just seems way to artificial to me and I could never personally support it...
Hogs are not wanted for "LARD" anymore... yet look at the price of Lard you can buy in the grocery store.... better than anything for flaky pie crust... and better for frying too...

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't need to make that trip - but where in CA?
@farmerjan and @Ridgetop - do they still do backfat measurements??

@
Willows, CA bad thing is I looked up the address, there I'm sure isn't any residence there, no suite A or apartment, room or whatever #117, it's a outdoor store. Here is the address the tax assessor has on record now updated March 27th.

323A N TEHAMA ST # 117
WILLOWS, CA 95988-2524

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice view this evening of a storm rolling in despite no chance of rain in the forecast.
KIMG03944.jpg

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's way the hell up there. Wonder if he's dodging something or other. LOL at least there's a taco truck that frequents the place! 🌮 ;)
Run all you want, but when taxes come due and you don't get a bill and don't pay it then I will buy the place off the county courthouse steps in 3 years for pennies on the dollar.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The address could be a mailbox in a storefront, ya know?
Could be, I will call them this morning and find out. Last time I had to "pay a visit" someone kept messing around with a battery I won on eBay. Used, but in good age, showed up in Minneapolis with my semi ready to bring the battery home or take the building down trying to get the battery. Not a light battery, it weighs 3780 lbs