Baymule’s Journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had one of the Derecho 's about 10+ years ago here.. lost power for nearly 5 days... not near as long a stretch... just tore things down with the winds...
Had on the news that one older man, was killed when a part of a crane fell on the concrete truck he was driving, delivering concrete to a site or something... SO SAD for all the devastation...

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had one of the Derecho 's about 10+ years ago here.. lost power for nearly 5 days... not near as long a stretch... just tore things down with the winds...
Had on the news that one older man, was killed when a part of a crane fell on the concrete truck he was driving, delivering concrete to a site or something... SO SAD for all the devastation...
Derecho you say, I was in an excavator when one hit. I made sure to flip the excavator around and anchor down. I can feel it rock the excavator. I thought the field was on fire when it first started.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Looks like quite the wind... so explain to me why the wind turbines were not turning at all????
Not in operation yet so the brakes were on. I was tasked with burying the junctions of where the wires met that connected tower to tower. I got hired on towards the end of the contract and they canned me for not being fast enough within a week working there. Never again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just woke up from an hour nap. Was up at 4:30 this morning. Was outside doing chores when a friend texted that he had a ewe with a prolapse. He was ready to shoot her and save the meat. I went over there, 45 minutes away. We discussed processing her versus trying to save her. She is heavy bred, but in my estimation, still several weeks from birthing lambs. I didn’t think we could shoot, do a quick cesarean and have a chance at live lambs, it’s just too soon.

Inspired by @SageHill and her vet wrap prolapse harness, we gave it a try. I washed off the lump, rubbed with sugar and pushed it back in. Ewe immediately started pushing it back out. I kept pushing it in, got more sugar, more sugar and just sorta held what I had until she stopped pushing.

We vet wrapped her. I told my friends I’ve never done this before, but we’d try. It might be a miserable failure, but it might work. Told them to order a prolapse harness ASAP. Even if a complete failure, they would have it for next time, if there is one.

Worst case scenario, she prolapses again and I go back over there to help them process her. She’s a 7 year old ewe, she had twin ewes last year. With all the stress she’s in, I don’t think the meat would be very good, but I’ll let them be the judge of that. They really want to try to save the lambs and I’ll do all I can to help them.

I left there, went to Atwoods, bought 7 bags of lamb grower and went to the church. I loaded everything in the mule and came home. I ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich and conked out. Trying to muster up the desire to go unload the mule and put the feed in barrels. It’s 88F and 80% humidity. So far, I’m not finding any enthusiasm.

Latest posts