Checking-In On Herds - Post Here To Say Hello!

WildTurkey

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have such a wonderful community here at BYH, but we know life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our herd-loving-friends we haven't seen in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to! :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

thanks so much for checking in Nifty. We have been doing good and staying busy indeed ... Added lots of new chicks to the flock (both for eggs and meat) .. have 2 momma turkeys hatching out a batch of their own eggs and some duck eggs ... Have 6 baby bunnies born 10 days ago and they are duplicating mommas every move.
Have a few chicks in the house too and one duckling who didn't fit with the former batches but can get along quite well with eachother before I put them with the others.
Waiting for my hair sheep to start lambing hopefully still this weekend, otherwise most definitely coming week. Same for one of my Nigerian Dwarf Goats ...
So .... we are kept busy .. AND .. happy.
OOh added to that .. lots of seedlings growing and some already in the garden ....
It's a feast and a blessing to be able to take care of my family this way ...

lengel

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our dwarf goat Thelma passed last year from what was probably bladder cancer. That's just a guess. It happened so fast. Then her sister Louise was diagnosed a few months ago with sebaceous carcinoma. The growth on her head was removed and it hasn't come back. She's 13 now. Then a weasel killed all but three of our chickens. Interesting story though. It ripped out the back of a rooster's neck and we nursed it back to health then renamed him Miracle. He's fine now.

We probably won't get more goats but I'll try again with chickens next year

That was dark but it was a difficult year. Thanks for reaching out.

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh wow! So much has happened since I was last on BYH. Kids take up so much of our time. Human and goats! My girls are very active in school Activities and 4H. We have 16 pygmy goats now! Still have our sheep, and have added mini horses, along with all of the poultry and water fowl. It’s a busy time here always. I’ll have to start using one of my best resources again! All of you!!!
IMG_9354.jpeg
IMG_7519.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9129.jpeg
    IMG_9129.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9090.jpeg
    IMG_9090.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9071.jpeg
    IMG_9071.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7337.jpeg
    IMG_7337.jpeg
    578.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7302.jpeg
    IMG_7302.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 12

hollymh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Nifty! Long time no see, I sold my little farm and became a pilot. Now Im farmless, just a pilot with 8 chickens. No goats for now, but my husband and I are looking at getting land soon and perhaps that will lead to more than just chickens!

chooksinchoppers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have such a wonderful community here at BYH, but we know life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our herd-loving-friends we haven't seen in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to! :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Well Hi! Busy yes! We moved out of our rental house, bought an RV and are renting a spot on a private horse farm. They let us set up a coop and fencing for our chickens which was awesome as we didn't want to lose all our hard work with breeds. Our two cats Mia and Shadow love to see the chickens out the screen door and our landlord's pygmy goat Penelope loves to see what we are up to inside.

Attachments

• MiaShadow.jpg
    MiaShadow.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PetuniaShadow.jpg
    PetuniaShadow.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 10

goats&sheep19

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, its been awhile!
I am just starting full time study at uni, so the animals have taken a bit of a back step, as have the forums.
Still have all the goats, chooks, most of my sheep (one managed to die...something they seem good at) cats, dogs, horse and pony.
Good to hear from you Nifty : )

Mama&thePeeps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, seeing all these updates is great! It’s making me miss my little hobby farm. We rehomed the two remaining llamas and the 10 chickens left back in 2018 and moved to a one level home on 1/2 acre. No room for livestock.

Because a son & daughter-in-law moved back in with us temporarily, we now have three dogs and three cats living in the house amongst the four adults!

Adding pictures of my new rescue dog because we all love to see pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 9

chickadee-ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm without herd or flock having moved from Maine to South Dakota. A return to Maine may yet happen-- until then it's just the cat and I. Unless I find something appropriate to purchase here. who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Only the shadow knows! lol