Ewe with Spider Bite to Treat

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed Painted Peggy was laying oddly while I was working on sheep shed. I saw the right side of bag swollen especially the teat. Went inside to find mastitis meds, milker, and hot compresses. I can't find my Today tubes.
Before pics, note small yellow spot on teat.
P_20240504_184510.jpg
I used hot compress then EZMilker and got quite a bit of milk. It looked normal consistency not stringy and udder evened out size wise. That's when I saw this under yellow scab. It 's classis brown recluse bite.
P_20240504_185450.jpg

For humans, I use suction to get venom remnants out and pack with silverdyne antibiotic alternating with a Neosporin type. Is that good course for her? Merck's vet manual just says "supportive care". I also have sheep oral pain meds and RX antibiotics on hand. Tractor Supply and Russell feed store open around 9am and I can try to find Today tubes if you think I should do that
@Baymule @Ridgetop @secuono

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I have no experience with a spider bite. If you have treated humans for spider bites, then try the same thing on Painted Peggy. I’d continue to milk her out.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree, use the protocol you have used on humans... I would watch the milk for mastitis but not use the Today in the teat.... silver nitrate has been popular for treating wounds so I think it would do as much for the ewe... and it is not supposed to be a problem with some ingestion, so maybe the lamb will suck it once it doesn't hurt so much.... Just keep her milked out so you don't lose half the udder to mastitis.
The picture actually resembles a typical "cow pox" spot, with the same type of scab... had a cow years ago that had it... it is a herpes virus...it looks like a blister that you get with poison ivy, it breaks open, scabs over... and goes away... She got over it and I never saw it again...

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Taking a picture one handed is not my best skill but there are two tiny fang marks in the middle. Good to hear silver is okay for animals. I will still buy a box of Today tubes but hold off on using unless she actually gets mastitis.

Thanks everyone! As usual, weekend after hours...