Truth or old wive's tale: bulls and female (human) hormones

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Thewife said:
I have seen how bulls react to blood!
Whether it's where we butchered a cow, a cow died or even the back of our truck when we get a deer.
Personally, I just avoid the whole herd!
(it's also a darn good excuse to make the boy check fences for me when I don't want too!)
Ditto. It was that one time we had three bulls that had to be cut, and one decided to come in right after the first. Well he just went nuts, snorting and dancing around in front of the gate he came in desparately trying to find a way out, and when it was his turn he hit the head gate with a bang. I think he was a bit of a kicker too...

Edit: this was at the vet clinic (that I currently work at) where this had happened..

AF Texas Longhorn Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Back when I had only my steer, he would try to jump on my sometimes, which I was luckily able to avoid by jumping away (I don't think having a 1000+ lbs steer jump on you is good for your back LOL) I don't remember if it was during my periods or ovulating times though. Maybe though a bull kept alone is more sensitive to anything that might be in "heat" then a bull kept in a herd were he can regularly satisfy his lusts???? :p

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
amysflock said:
Hi, all,

I was supposed to be out picking bracken fern in the pasture today so it was gone before our friend comes over to brush hog...and then it occurred to me that I am ovulating and we have a bull visiting the property. I have heard it's very dangerous for women to be near bulls during certain times of their monthly cycles, and while I'm not sure if it's true or not, I decided not to test it while I'm home alone.

So...anyone know whether this is fact or fiction? Thanks!
Male, female, ovulating or not, it's never a good idea for any human to be alone with a bull, period. A lot of the examples in this thread are things that can and do happen to men all the time, when dealing with bulls, so even if they were encouraged in those particular cases by a woman's cycle, it doesn't really matter. Bottom line, use proper handling techiniques for your animals at all times, especially bulls, and it really won't matter who you are or what your condition is.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I was supposed to be out picking bracken fern in the pasture today so it was gone before our friend comes over to brush hog...and then it occurred to me that I am ovulating and we have a bull visiting the property. I have heard it's very dangerous for women to be near bulls during certain times of their monthly cycles, and while I'm not sure if it's true or not, I decided not to test it while I'm home alone.

So...anyone know whether this is fact or fiction? Thanks!

Very old thread.

But this is true.

My bull is a hateful, destructive monster once I start my period. Makes me want to shoot him for all the damage he causes. 🙄 But I can't not check in & water/feed them for a week.
Bulls can smell a cow in heat 5mi away. No way they can't smell a period 50 feet away, no matter what they use. Even many women can smell it on themselves. Sometimes before they see the first bit of leak!
Seems like he wants to challenge me, as if I'm a stranger or roaming bull that he needs to get away from his girls.
Luckily, my rams couldn't care less. So, it's only one ahole I need to always keep a sharp eye on.

As for blood from butchering. They all lick it up, but they're mellow the whole time. I cut my knee and both of my youngest moos, a heifer & a steer, quickly sniffed it out and tried licking it. 🤢 Vampire Moos! My cats and some of my lgds have also sniffed out minor wounds. Humans have a terrible sense of smell, and these guys always remind me of a huge part of the world that we're missing out on.

Latest posts